• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm. 80 min train journey each way......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Burn out? lol are you serious?
    What's funny about the idea that over-working is bad for you?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy View Post
      I've been contracting for 20 years next year. It all builds up. I used to do the long drives and longer days, before wfh was normal. Just saying, 13 hour days aren't good for you, for long periods. Been there and done it.
      +1. My sister in law could be getting divorced and mentioned the hours her other half was doing.

I'm sure the two facts are very related.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Sprinter? a.k.a. bus on rails?
        Originally posted by stek View Post
        Neither of these names reflect the true nature of the beast.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy View Post
          I've been contracting for 20 years next year. It all builds up. I used to do the long drives and longer days, before wfh was normal. Just saying, 13 hour days aren't good for you, for long periods. Been there and done it.
          Been doing it for 15 myself, think it also boils down to how you manage the time and the gig you are on. I make sure everything is ready for me for the following morning, slow cooker for evening meals so I am not wasting time at home when I do get in, use the time on the train to complete work, so many variables as to whether it has an adverse effect or not. Hasn't for me over that period of time

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What's funny about the idea that over-working is bad for you?
          I never said burn out was funny? Where did I say that? I was laughing at the fact those hours would not necessarily burn someone out, far more people work more than 12 hour days than those who dont, dont see them all burnt out

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1. My sister in law could be getting divorced and mentioned the hours her other half was doing.

I'm sure the two facts are very related.
          Yeah can be difficult for relationships, can also be good, very case dependant

Comment

Been doing it for 15 myself, think it also boils down to how you manage the time and the gig you are on. I make sure everything is ready for me for the following morning, slow cooker for evening meals so I am not wasting time at home when I do get in, use the time on the train to complete work, so many variables as to whether it has an adverse effect or not. Hasn't for me over that period of time

I never said burn out was funny? Where did I say that? I was laughing at the fact those hours would not necessarily burn someone out, far more people work more than 12 hour days than those who dont, dont see them all burnt out

Yeah can be difficult for relationships, can also be good, very case dependant
            The problem is not from her side. The problem is that he isn't being vaguely rational. Long hours and lack of sleep means he's not thinking straight.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm just saying, that not managing your hours, doing too many, really doesn't do your health any good, not over any length of time. 13 hours a day is no good, for years on end. It just isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                The problem is not from her side. The problem is that he isn't being vaguely rational. Long hours and lack of sleep means he's not thinking straight.
                I can see where you are coming from and how that could be.

Comment

You don't see everyone who smokes die of cancer either, so what? You're saying smoking doesn't cause cancer?

And what is the part I highlighted about, are you suggest the majority of people work more than 12 hours a day?

There's also a difference depending what work you do. 12 hours of physical labour is exhausting to your body, 12 hours of stressful work using your brain leaves your brain exhausted and prone to damage.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I work when I am on the train therefore any travel time is part of my working day. It’s a five minute walk to the station and an hour to London plus ten minutes on the tube.
                    The bad news it is on South West trains which are tulip. Sometimes the one hour journey takes two because of various delays. The staff are rude, the train is dirty. The train ride is bumpy and the trains build by Siemens therefore the build quantity is poor as is their maintenance.
                    It is possible to take a longer journey using the GW line which I prefer as it uses the Intercity 125 trains that are built like a brick sh1t-house, very fast, comfortable, reliable and British however, the train companies are going to dump them in favour of new green trains from Siemens ie: more seats in the same space, less comfort and less reliability; German tulip.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You don't see everyone who smokes die of cancer either, so what? You're saying smoking doesn't cause cancer?

And what is the part I highlighted about, are you suggest the majority of people work more than 12 hours a day?

There's also a difference depending what work you do. 12 hours of physical labour is exhausting to your body, 12 hours of stressful work using your brain leaves your brain exhausted and prone to damage.
                      I agree, the role I had in Newcastle (110 miles away) totally wore me out because of the initial commute, 15 mins walk, 20 mins bus, 10 min walk, 1:30 train, walk to Metro (not far!) Metro to Northumberland Park, 20 min walk. About 3.5 hours door to door with waiting times each end

Did that daily for a week or two, because contact was short notice and thought it would be ok, but to be honest, it did me no favours so I did the weekly commute thing and stayed in the Toon.

I couldn't drive because I was still in the six month period after my heart thing...

Comment

Working...
                      X