• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm. 80 min train journey each way......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd contract was in Doncaster and I tried the commute across the Pennines a couple of times before I realised that train was the way to go. If you are tired and in a car it's the worst thing, on the train it's not so bad, especially in 1st class (which only cost £400/month for that particular journey).

Since the average time is quicker by train it's a no brainer really!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      3rd contract was in Doncaster and I tried the commute across the Pennines a couple of times before I realised that train was the way to go. If you are tired and in a car it's the worst thing, on the train it's not so bad, especially in 1st class (which only cost £400/month for that particular journey).

Since the average time is quicker by train it's a no brainer really!
      Wasn't it a bit of a risk to go for more than a weekly travelcard?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          One guy at I knew forked out £3000 for a 12 month season ticket and was canned after three.

Stupid bugger....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            One guy at I knew forked out £3000 for a 12 month season ticket and was canned after three.

Stupid bugger....
            You can get a refund on unused bits. See here
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Probably spoilt because this is about average with you lot from the south....
              Would mean (probably) train at 6-30am ish (10 min drive to train station) getting to office at 8-15am (10 min walk other end). Then hopefully, getting home about 6-30pm.

Might work - as I've said before it depends on the client I guess.

Cost wise season ticket aint too bad. Works out £42 a day. Driving probably not an option because its 100+ miles so 2 hrs+.

Anyone else suck up such a train journey? Obviously, trains have their disadvantages and advantages but wondered how much it does your head in.....
              Depends on quality of journey.

I've just finished 7 months of commuting Leeds to London, pretty much daily. Big intercity into Kings Cross. OK seats and rarely overcrowded. Monthly ticket was £1,230 mind.

15 mins journey at each end, and 2 hrs 15 on the train each way. Yes, a bit nuts, but you can work on the train and its surprisingly relaxing compared to driving. I ended up doing my own work that I would often do at home, on the train instead. That meant that when I got home the computer was off for the night.

First few days are a pain but you will soon get into it. You would be surprised how many others were doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                Depends on quality of journey.

I've just finished 7 months of commuting Leeds to London, pretty much daily. Big intercity into Kings Cross. OK seats and rarely overcrowded. Monthly ticket was £1,230 mind.

15 mins journey at each end, and 2 hrs 15 on the train each way. Yes, a bit nuts, but you can work on the train and its surprisingly relaxing compared to driving. I ended up doing my own work that I would often do at home, on the train instead. That meant that when I got home the computer was off for the night.

First few days are a pain but you will soon get into it. You would be surprised how many others were doing the same.
                2-30 each way is nuts. So what time did you get up/get home every night?
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I used to commute from Brentwood to Wellingborough daily, a good 80 miles, first on a motorbike and then in a Lincoln Continental (followed by a Ford Cortina) which was a pain in the arse. I even once commuted daily from Darmstadt to Stuttgart, around 190km, but that was in an AMG and was sheer ******* hell as well. Now I do 300km there, stay a few days and 300km back at really rather high speeds, still a pain in the arse but quicker, easier and nearly as cheap as public transport.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Those on the Eurostar can get a seat.

Don't know where you are so can't say about the Isle of Wight.
                    I commute from peterborough into London, make sure all my contracts are in the city or Zone 1. I always get a seat. Also if you are commuting and have a monthly season ticket or yearly you can reserve your seat in and home free of charge, same with any other TOC's coming in from afar

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      2-30 each way is nuts. So what time did you get up/get home every night?
                      Up at 6, out by 6:15. Home around 8:15, although just after 6 on Fridays (earlier train). In office at 9, left by 5.

Staying in London in summer isn't cheap and at the start of the year there wasn't much about. 7 months over summer is ok. Wouldn't fancy it in winter.

Loads of people doing Donny to London plus travel at the other end.

Comment

Working...
                      X