• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crimewatch - Madeleine McCann

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insects - Kidnapping.

Interesting.

Comment

Awaiting d000hg claiming Hairy has abducted Maddie

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Of course they do, but the moment a kid wakes up to find a swarm of bees in their room (plausible but very unlikely) everyone will be piling in about what terrible parents the kid had.
        But I don't think it's 100% fine when I leave the windows open. There are a lot of different greys. Would I be to blame if one of my kids was snatched while I was asleep through the open window?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          But I don't think it's 100% fine when I leave the windows open. There are a lot of different greys. Would I be to blame if one of my kids was snatched while I was asleep through the open window?
          If one of your kids was snatched you would blame yourself regardless of whether there was anything that you could have done differently or not.

Comment

Depends, what security does your house have, or insurance demand? In Reigate, we had to have alarms, and movement sensors, and a lot more. For our insurance in Devon, we only need Window locks, proper door locks and an alarm. We have a perimeter alarm and lights too. The kids open the top windows, and I think it would take a ninja to get in. However, unless they came armed with sleeping gas, I assuming noise from kids, dog and breaking all of the tulipe my kids put on their windows sills

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              If one of your kids was snatched you would blame yourself regardless of whether there was anything that you could have done differently or not.
              This is interesting, as I have often thought that it would eat you inside out re-running what you did prior to the abduction and thinking of any little thing you could have done so things would be different. It's this I am alluding to when I say it would kill some people. Even with no fault, you'd eat yourself up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy View Post
                Depends, what security does your house have, or insurance demand? In Reigate, we had to have alarms, and movement sensors, and a lot more. For our insurance in Devon, we only need Window locks, proper door locks and an alarm. We have a perimeter alarm and lights too. The kids open the top windows, and I think it would take a ninja to get in. However, unless they came armed with sleeping gas, I assuming noise from kids, dog and breaking all of the tulipe my kids put on their windows sills
                We have window locks but there is no obligation to lock them at night. But that really is by the by as I'm talking about child safety. If someone had a ladder, they could probably remove a child without waking her up. I leave the window open in the knowledge that this risk exists, but I judge the risk to be extremely unlikely, and the room is too hot to sleep in.

As MS says, if the wrst happened I would blame myself. But would I be to blame?

Comment

We have window locks but there is no obligation to lock them at night. But that really is by the by as I'm talking about child safety. If someone had a ladder, they could probably remove a child without waking her up. I leave the window open in the knowledge that this risk exists, but I judge the risk to be extremely unlikely, and the room is too hot to sleep in.

BBC News - Mother's 'nightmare' after baby twins 'mauled' by fox

These people didn't shut their back door.

Comment

With any abducted child, there is always things that could have been done to prevent it, but unless you are willing to keep your children in a underground bunker then it is always going to be possible. The points being discussed here aren't just regarding the posters level of risk they are willing to take, leaving a door unlocked may be accepted practice in a remote village in the middle of nowhere, but not for a terrace house in Crackney.

Comment

I think is getting to the strawman stage now. I don't carry around antivenom on holiday in the off chance my kid gets bitten, I don't have a surgeon on standby in case she trips over carrying a pyrex dish to the sunday dinner table and bleeds to death after cutting a main vein, I don't pack a parachute for her when she flies just in case the plane goes down.

But what I do do if someone tells me, as they did in Florida a few years back, that they've seen bull sharks, is not let her go into the water, if there is very strong medication in the house (which there has been of late), I ensure it's in a place she can't get to, my guns are locked in a safe and if I go out, I ensure people are there to look after her.

I genuinely do not know, why this is carrying on. Admitting she took a risk, admits it was risky behaviour. If you can't see culpability, on a large scale, then I genuinely will never get your point.

Comment

Working...
                      X