• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love contracting..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I started contracting when I realised that permiedom is contracting by another name (with less money)
    This! Thrice times THIS!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      This! Thrice times THIS!
      Yes.
      A permanent job is a contract role where you hope that "the boss" might be intending to keep you on for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Yes.
        A permanent job is a contract role where you hope that "the boss" might be intending to keep you on for a long time and pay you less.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
          I was working as a waitress in a cocktail-bar .......
          That much is true. However, we all know what you're still working as a "waitress" in a cocktail-bar. Going up to punters and asking, "Do you want me, baby?".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            I'll tell you what I haven't seen for some time around the workplace- Columbian marching powder
            That's because nowadays it's all about the Bolivian marching powder.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I was taking our cow to market, when I met some bloke who offered me some magic beans for it. The offer was too good to refuse ,so I took the magic beans home, and after the bruises and the swelling went down, I planted them.
              About thirty five years later a great big beanstalk sprouted up and , naturally, I climbed up it. Now I have a goose that lays golden eggs and a harp that plays and sings Morrissey songs all day and night.

thats the way I became a contractor

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EternalOptimist again.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                One of the best experiences I had whilst contracting, was back in the late 90's...

I'd just withdrawn £300 from the cash machine, and had stuffed it into my leather wallet. This resulted in the wallet being so fat that I couldn't close it properly. It was one of those small wallets that folds into three. As I walked away from the cash machine, an ethnic gentleman pulled up in his prestige car and beckoned me over. Turned out that he was trying to sell me a dodgy watch. I declined the offer and walked away with my unfeasibly bulging wallet. Happy days...

Perhaps he was doing even better selling dodgy watches.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd been out of Uni for 3 years, was on my second perm role, had a mid life crisis at 27, got into a massive argument with my boss, threw my company car keys across the room and told him to fook his job, walked out got on a train and went home.

Next day a contractor was born. :-)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I'd been out of Uni for 3 years, was on my second perm role, had a mid life crisis at 27, got into a massive argument with my boss, threw my company car keys across the room and told him to fook his job, walked out got on a train and went home.

Next day a contractor was born. :-)
                    Add in sick of living in the red and that just about mirrors my experiences as well.

Coming to work wanting to baseball bat your line manager is not healthy. Best to leave and go contracting.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      That much is true. However, we all know what you're still working as a "waitress" in a cocktail-bar. Going up to punters and asking, "Do you want me, baby?".
                      But he would have done that With or without youuuu!

nope he doesn't want you babeee
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X