• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love contracting..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I have a permie job. I've been there 3 months and it's the first permie job I've had in 9 years.

I am looking for a contract.

That's the way to do it
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Oh and I love contracting cos I work in a niche area and and any prermie jobs would be with a consultancy, where I would be away from home all week.
      So contracting allows me to earn more, have more hols whilst also being away from home a lot BUT it's my decision.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I have a permie job. I've been there 3 months and it's the first permie job I've had in 9 years.

------------------------------------------------->>>>>>

Don't forget to read the guides before asking any questions on here.

Comment

Why I love contracting..

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I had a permie job once. It was tulipe. So I looked for another one and accidentally found a contract instead. It was a great improvement.
          Yeah, it was sort of like that for me. My niche isn't great for contracting though, so there's a good chance that I'll go permie at current ClientCo eventually. As my current contract also sort if resembles my ideal job, I'd be alright with that.

Comment

All the permies in my current gig company went through the circus of the annual pay review shenanigans, even though the company has made record turnover and profits. Everyone still got a very low payrise and the permies are pissed. The company's justification they are currently lucky to have a job and more importantly even more lucky to have a payrise!

As for me just re-negotiated my contract with a rate increase ...krchingggggg! and thats why I love contracting

Comment

Just told my boss i accepted another contract 😊

Happy days, he was fine me leaving at the end of the week for another position. I was relieved to say the least. 7 months is too long when you don't get a good vibe around your boss. When can you ever give 3 days notice and for it to be okay???
              I was a permie for 7 years before i became a contractor. I could never save - saw my current account dwindle every month. Not to mention having to attend team days, and constant team meetings. Have only been contracting for 2 years, but this is heaven!!! No more listening day in day out about the office politics. I just didn't give a tulip about who was being promoted, or who got the secondment etc.
              When i was perm, i didn't even enjoy my time away from work, because i was so consumed by my own misery. The day i quit, the cob webs started to clear. It was miraculous. Now i kind preach about contracting to anyone who will listen. To a certain extent.
              Am starting the new job monday. Only 16 mins on the DLR. I hope to complete this contract in 4 months, and i may treat myself to a month or 2 off, to focus on getting super fit and slim with Freeletics.
              Who gets to choose when they take time off, just when it suits them?
              Who can secure a job with one interview?
              Who gets to leave when they've had enough?
              Who gets to learn new skills every few months, then give themselves a pay rise when it suits them!?
              Being a full timer is like riding a bike up the hill and contracting is pure gliding.
              I am sucking the marrow out of contracting, For long may it last.
              Also I enjoy not making friends, working remotely and checking my account and knowing it would have taken years to save what now only takes months.

I have a dream....
              well I am sort of living it
              That's why I contract

Comment

Forget loyalty to a company. Contractors are loyal to themselves

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I was taking our cow to market, when I met some bloke who offered me some magic beans for it. The offer was too good to refuse ,so I took the magic beans home, and after the bruises and the swelling went down, I planted them.
                About thirty five years later a great big beanstalk sprouted up and , naturally, I climbed up it. Now I have a goose that lays golden eggs and a harp that plays and sings Morrissey songs all day and night.

thats the way I became a contractor

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                When IT started to pay more than music that's when I became a contractor.
                Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                I became a contractor when I got stiched up by two permie employers within 6 months of each other. Currently loving the massive amounts of extra money which means that if the company I work at starts giving me hassle I can tell them to shove it and walk out.
                Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Yes.
                A permanent job is a contract role where you hope that "the boss" might be intending to keep you on for a long time.
                Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                FTFY
                Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I'd been out of Uni for 3 years, was on my second perm role, had a mid life crisis at 27, got into a massive argument with my boss, threw my company car keys across the room and told him to fook his job, walked out got on a train and went home.

Next day a contractor was born. :-)
                Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                Add in sick of living in the red and that just about mirrors my experiences as well.

Coming to work wanting to baseball bat your line manager is not healthy. Best to leave and go contracting.

qh

I love the stories here. Be true to yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by itsmyjobtojobhop View Post
                  TLR

P. s. You start your new gig. Your job is being a contractor :

Might want to think about a new username so you don't look and sound like the disguised permie you probably are currently.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 24 February 2016, 09:35.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Was working for a large telecoms company in the 90s. Great job, Nice company car but average salary. Lots of travel around europe but the novelty was wearing off.

Lots of long hours/weekend work etc. Company thought nothing of having someone on their customer site for 36 hours stretch if something went wrong (48 hours was my record - got back to hotel and I was so tired I convinced the second hand on my watch was going backwards!) . No-one ever made arrangements to swap people over. You'd be dumped on site on your tod in say, Oslo, and told to stay put until it was fixed. It was slowly killing me.

Then I noticed contracting. I could earn at least double. So I got a gig an hours drive away. 9-5 pretty much mon-fri. Loads of money. Easy life. Handed in my notice, handed in my company car, bought spanking new one for myself.

I have dabbled with perm again since then. What finally killed it off was one place where mate got me the job. Mate was dead keen and dead loyal about this place - he cancelled his family holiday once (completely pissing off his mrs!) at 3 days notice because they asked him to.

We were both shafted with an offer of a compromise agreement rather than get sacked one day. Company had basically wanted redundancies but couldnt be arsed to do it properly so came up with this ruse of trumping up charges of misconduct and getting people out this way. Got 1 months pay and a little bit more out of this in the end. Made me realise if you're gonna get shafted you're gonna get shafted and being perm makes no odds so why not get paid more contracting.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

And you've moaned about it everyday since.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X