• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I love contracting..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course back in my day we 'ad it tough

Contracting wasn't the "done" thing and giving up a permie role with company car + salary + holidays for an uncertain lifestyle was considered madness

What is surprising these days is the amount of low grade contractors around who still carry the permie mind set
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Money and being able to not give a toss about the company without being accused of not being a "team player." Can't think of much else positive about it thus far since it mainly seems to be a ruse to avoid a lot of employment law for large companies.

"Love" is definitely too strong a word to use for contracting.

Comment

Contracting wasn't the "done" thing and giving up a permie role with company car + salary + holidays for an uncertain lifestyle was considered madness

What is surprising these days is the amount of low grade contractors around who still carry the permie mind set
        +1
        +1

And, odd to admit, but being able to make a difference with my skillset.

Comment

Contracting now sucks to me in comparison to an easy, multi-day work-from-home perm job in central Europe outside of major town, with easy going colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
            Contracting now sucks to me in comparison to an easy, multi-day work-from-home perm job in central Europe outside of major town, with easy going colleagues.
            Sounds like you just have experience of basic, fairly unskilled, contracts then?

I don't find mine hard work at all, usually negotiate a good rate, wfh etc. then I usually get a few of my own people in.

Sounds like you haven't been doing it right, hence your disillusionment.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I was taking our cow to market ...

thats the way I became a contractor

Oh, so you're one of those cow workers everyone talks about.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

1. Good adrenaline.
                2. Work in several projects.
                3. Work in different countries.
                4. Work with different clients.
                5. Work with different cultures
                6. Learn a lot.

and move on...

next...

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  1. Good adrenaline.
                  2. Work in several projects.
                  3. Work in different countries.
                  4. Work with different clients.
                  5. Work with different cultures
                  6. Learn a lot.

and move on...

next...
                  Is this some kind of self help therapy?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I started contracting after 14 years of permiedom. I had it in my head that I wanted 10 years experience before I started, and I had some other commitments to tidy up before I was ready to go contracting.

I met some nice friendly contractors over the years, and thought to myself that one day I would like to give it a go.

So many people get trapped in a permanent role to pay the mortgage, to get the final salary pension. It makes for a very boring, uncreative, unchallenged existence. I got sick of working with people like that, and I didn't want to become one.

Two years on, it's been great. I have learnt loads, earned loads, and met some lovely people.

I am looking at a permie role at the moment. It is at a level far higher than the level I was at when I left permie. I think contracting can leap frog you up the career ladder if you want to. I am really not sure if I want it, but it is a great opportunity, close to home. I am going to see if they want me and I want them.

If not, I will keep contracting, keep saving (and start investing). I don't really have 'a plan'. I just do what I can to stay fresh and ahead; keeping all options open and taking the opportunities as they come.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Can I just say

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      I started contracting when I realised that permiedom is contracting by another name (with less money)
                      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                      X