• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children with ADHD. Real or bad parenting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    On the bright side, does that mean you get to jump the queues at Legoland?
    I'd guess so. Who wants to stand in a queue with a fat hairy stinky man?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      We asked the nursery today whether MF04 was the same as other kids that they looked after or whether he was a little bit different? The silence was deafening. Balls.
      Three years later and has been diagnosed with ADHD in the last few weeks. Tried giving him a bloody good hiding but never worked. Impulsive, disruptive, blurting out noises all the time, never sitting still.

He misses 3/4 of his playtimes each week, always on the naughty chart & this morning watched him mess up his judo exam, scoring a lowly score, not even filling in answers, when I've spent two weeks prepping him with games & play scoring full marks every time.

The lack of control, concentration & impulsiveness is seriously going to hamper his academic development and self worth.

Still think it's a combination of real(medicine/diet) / parenting, trick is to work out how to balance the two.

Add two more years & he is now officially diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum in addition to the ADHD. Now has 1 to 1 help at school & securing extra funding.

Funny, how in 2012 when he was 3 when I first made this post, was you could tell then.

I knew it wasn't bad parenting.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

good luck

Milan.

Comment

Add two more years & he is now officially diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum in addition to the ADHD. Now has 1 to 1 help at school & securing extra funding.

Funny, how in 2012 when he was 3 when I first made this post, was you could tell then.

I know you probably get loads of unsolicited advice but based on experience with friends who have autistic / ADHD kids changing to a gluten free / dairy free diet made a big difference in their kids behavior and general symptoms. There haven't been many studies on it but the ones tat have been done do seem to indicate that diet can have a big impact on behavior and symptoms in some patients.

Hope things work out for you and MF04. You may be a fat twat, but you're our fat twat.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            I know you probably get loads of unsolicited advice but based on experience with friends who have autistic / ADHD kids changing to a gluten free / dairy free diet made a big difference in their kids behavior and general symptoms. There haven't been many studies on it but the ones tat have been done do seem to indicate that diet can have a big impact on behavior and symptoms in some patients.

Hope things work out for you and MF04. You may be a fat twat, but you're our fat twat.
            Had the kid tested and dairy was an issue. Gluten was not. Monitored his behaviour over six months on different exclusions and dairy does have an effect, so he's on a dairy free diet, which is great because it means more ice cream for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

+1.

Very eloquently put, BTW
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Are you a better mod or parent?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Are you a better mod or parent?
                  Look Brillo, we all know that my child has a hidden disablement and I am a great father and the best moderator there was, is and ever will be.

In your case, it's definitely bad parenting.

Comment

Had the kid tested and dairy was an issue. Gluten was not. Monitored his behaviour over six months on different exclusions and dairy does have an effect, so he's on a dairy free diet, which is great because it means more ice cream for me.
                    That's the spirit!

Comment

And now the first permanent exclusion looms. Now referred to a special behavioural unit, he will be attending a special unit to see if he can be helped.

He now hits the floor or throws chairs / things everytime he is startled by a loud noise. Talking normally one second, rolling around like a lunatic the other. The complaints have started the last few weeks from other parents who's children have now become anxious, or he's hit when he's having a meltdown, pushing people away from him. Wearing ear protectors when we go out, getting odd looks all the time and now other parents turning away, at other times he's funny, clever & engaging.

I know in my heart where this will go eventually. F-uck it.

Comment

Working...
                      X