• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comet plummets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comet plummets

Comet: more than 6,000 jobs at risk | Business | The Guardian

Looks like Comet will soon be going down the pan too, how much of this could possibly be blamed on Amazon and other companies that are able to offer lower priced electrical goods due to their unique tax arrangements?
    In Scooter we trust

It's a real shame.
    I spent about 8 years working at Comet when I started in IT. They were never really doing that well (if you look at the % of times internal profit targets got met over the years) but it has a place in my heart and a lot of my friends are still there.
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      Comet: more than 6,000 jobs at risk | Business | The Guardian

Looks like Comet will soon be going down the pan too, how much of this could possibly be blamed on Amazon and other companies that are able to offer lower priced electrical goods due to their unique tax arrangements?
      As John Lewis and Currys are still around that argument hardly washes.

Their problem was the impossible to resolve one. Never be the second player in the market as you will be attacked from all sides.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

John Lewis is a lot more diverse than Comet in the fact that it sells more than electrical goods
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

So the recession is over then as the ConDems keep on crowing?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

It's more likely it'll be a triple dip recession, still I don't think even a change of government would help the financial crisis didn't place overnight and it'll take a lot longer to repair the damage.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

unfortunately the management failed to realise they had to compete with internet and other more agile vendors.

their staff rarely had any knowledge and the stores followed 80's designs. They failed to build communities or differentiate themselves.

I'm very sorry for their staff but frankly Comet won't be the last to fail.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It seems we've had quite a lot of companies failing lately it doesn't really bode well does it
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  It's more likely it'll be a triple dip recession, still I don't think even a change of government would help the financial crisis didn't place overnight and it'll take a lot longer to repair the damage.
                  It's not a recession. It's reality; don't go looking for GDP growth any more. The next 20 years will be about how existing wealth gets used and how to maintain quality of life while standards of living remain flat or fall.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Lack of staff product knowledge and crap after sales service in any type store chain is a recipe for sinking, both of which I have experienced at Comet in the past (and may have even ranted on here before).

Comment

Working...
                    X