• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Comet plummets

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Comet plummets"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    This is the sharp end of the issue for Comet - suppliers started asking for payment up front for goods == cashflow problems == corporate death.
    There is only 1 real rule for business:-

Turnover Is Vanity
    Profit Is Sanity
    Cashflow Is Reality

Cashflow can kill any business even profitable ones.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    They never hold any stock in my experience.
    This is the sharp end of the issue for Comet - suppliers started asking for payment up front for goods == cashflow problems == corporate death.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Ok I'll try the Goods of Sale act line and see how it is received

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Just a thought - now Comet are going into admin, will they be selling off their products cheaply ?
    They never hold any stock in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Just a thought - now Comet are going into admin, will they be selling off their products cheaply ?

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Who needs a warranty when you get automatic cover when paying with your credit card these days
    Who needs a warranty when the Sales of Goods Act state:

The quality of the goods sold must be satisfactory (prior to 1994, this provision required 'merchantable' quality; this requirement has been retained in most Commonwealth versions of the Act). The Act provides an objective test to determine satisfactory quality; the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price, description and any other relevant factors.
    So if you buy a dishwasher would you 'reasonably' expect it break down after just one year? No? Sales of Goods Act covers you.

It doesn't matter what some little t**t in a polyester shop uniform says about 'store policy' or a manufacturers warranty of a year.

They know it too, but hope you don't.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I never mentioned anything about politics, your arguments are trite and based on sloppy data. touche :P

Manufacturing is going to decline when you destroy it, you can't simply put it back.
    Services were the promised land when these decisions were rashly made, so they are going to grow too.
    Maybe this

What did the left have to do with the systematic destruction of industry

haven't seen any data from you. Just sweeping accusations that manufacturing was destroyed but not by the left. On previous discussions you have attacked the conservatives and especially Maggie without being able to substantiate it with data. 'pas de touché'

Manufacturing was destroyed because when the game changed all governments failed to help it restructure.
    We have some of the most productive car plants in the world we could have more manufacturing like Germany if we had supported restructuring.

But we always hear that Maggie & co destroyed the pits, this is not true.
    Arthur Scargill and his rent a mob did that along with the coal board since the war.
    Maggie just put it out of its misery as we couldn't afford to subsidise it any more if 'the sick man of Europe' was going to recover.

Services are paying the bills, most manufacturers are doing a Starbucks because they are part of Global conglomerates that repatriate their profits to tax havens. or are so badly run they are either losing money or incapable of automating so they go to cheap overseas manufacture.

And manufacturing can be put back you just need the will.

Nissan car plant in Sunderland breaks UK record - Telegraph

Nissan was the first Japanese car manufacturer to open facilities in the UK when it arrived in 1986.
    Nissan to open £200m UK car plant - Telegraph

Nissan, the Japanese car maker, is to invest more than £200m into the North East of England as part of plans to manufacture batteries for electric cars.
    The Government has agreed to support Nissan's venture, probably through loans and grants via the £2.3bn Automotive Assistance Programme (AAP), although the size of support is unclear. A spokesman said talks were ongoing.

but this is why they go away

Dyson, champion of British industry, switches production to far east | Business | The Guardian

He said the fact that Britain remained outside the euro was only "a relatively small factor" in the decision. The driving force was the much lower labour and production costs in the far east and the fact that the company's suppliers were increasingly based in the region.

Dyson believes the move will enable it to cut production costs by around 30% and plans to plough the resulting savings back into research and development in Britain in a drive to continue to develop new technology products. The company, which chalked up sales of more than £220m in 2000, spends around 10% of turnover on new product development.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You think it is funny because the objects of your envy are being penalised and brought down to your level. so all the chat about caring for the poor" is bo**ocks. If people genuinely believe that the poor need help then people would be encouraged to earn as much as possible in order to increase the tax take which will (supposedly ) be spent "wisely" on redistributing wealth.

Unfortunately people like you and PollyToynbee are motivated more by envy than anything else
    Envy of what? and whats "my level" ?

The simple fact is that the government is supposed to be elected to support the populace as a whole, not a small percentage of it.

It may surprise you to know that only 10% of the population live in London, yet most of these economic masterstrokes simply destroy diversity in labour and geographically exclude the majority of the voting public, from this generated "wealth".

I laughed as in my view, its silly to think that the "high earners" in london pay anywhere near the same proportion of their income on tax.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

"You have a degree in economics and believe modern Labour will create sustainable jobs despite their history of creating taxpayer funded non jobs - now that deserves a few more"
    I never mentioned anything about politics, your arguments are trite and based on sloppy data. touche :P

Manufacturing is going to decline when you destroy it, you can't simply put it back.
    Services were the promised land when these decisions were rashly made, so they are going to grow too.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 1 November 2012, 16:37.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    You think it is funny because the objects of your envy are being penalised and brought down to your level. so all the chat about caring for the poor" is bo**ocks. If people genuinely believe that the poor need help then people would be encouraged to earn as much as possible in order to increase the tax take which will (supposedly ) be spent "wisely" on redistributing wealth.

Unfortunately people like you and PollyToynbee are motivated more by envy than anything else

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    who do you think are the 1% paying 25% of the tax take? Clue - Its not the northerners sitting on the Dole while the Eastern Europeans take all the low paying jobs down south.

See the graph that shows services rising at 45 degrees while manufacturing falls at 5 degrees?

A mine used to employ a few hundred people, the same work is done with one machine and 3 operators. Same is true of most factories.
    Combine that with manufacturing moving offshore both of which were enabled by computers & better communication systems which exploded in the eighties.
    Failure to restrict or balance import costs, invest (not subsidise) manufacturing. Then add Labour unrest and more restrictive labour laws and you can see why we are deep in it.

You have a degree in economics and believe modern Labour will create sustainable jobs despite their history of creating taxpayer funded non jobs - now that deserves a few more

Try analysing the data not feeding your prejudices.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    what lefties fail to realise is that the well paid jobs in the city feed taxes into the economy.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I include IT people in that. If faced with this what would you do?
    you would leave.

what lefties fail to realise is that the well paid jobs in the city feed taxes into the economy.
    I've never worked in finance, as a support bod I've seen rates plummet to permy levels and outsourcers don't want permy staff so that's not an option, I'm already there!!

Thank god for the city spivs and their taxes eh!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'd like to see that, I must be a lefty.
    I include IT people in that. If faced with this what would you do?
    you would leave.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    HTH. What did the left have to do with the systematic destruction of industry , in the name of the "city" as we put all our eggs into the same basket?
    The left had everything to do with the destruction of industry. Protective working practices, working within state controlled monopolies made them uncompetitive to the point where the rest of society had to subsidise them. The dam eventually burst exposing these organisations to market forces and they collapsed because they were no longer able to compete. There are examples of this everywhere from the USA to the Soviet Union

Leave a comment:

Working...
X