• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comet plummets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Vickers was a massive loss recently, under a labour government, which is worth mentioning.
    The name change to BAe Systems - Land Systems - Newcastle didn't really help them. I once sat in reception for 20 minutes there and couldn't understand how the reception hadn't gone mad saying that everytime they answered the phone.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

lefties would love the banking industry to collapse and put everyone working in it on £20K per year.
      I'd like to see that, I must be a lefty.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

HTH. What did the left have to do with the systematic destruction of industry , in the name of the "city" as we put all our eggs into the same basket?
        The left had everything to do with the destruction of industry. Protective working practices, working within state controlled monopolies made them uncompetitive to the point where the rest of society had to subsidise them. The dam eventually burst exposing these organisations to market forces and they collapsed because they were no longer able to compete. There are examples of this everywhere from the USA to the Soviet Union
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I'd like to see that, I must be a lefty.
          I include IT people in that. If faced with this what would you do?
          you would leave.

what lefties fail to realise is that the well paid jobs in the city feed taxes into the economy.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I include IT people in that. If faced with this what would you do?
            you would leave.

what lefties fail to realise is that the well paid jobs in the city feed taxes into the economy.
            I've never worked in finance, as a support bod I've seen rates plummet to permy levels and outsourcers don't want permy staff so that's not an option, I'm already there!!

Thank god for the city spivs and their taxes eh!
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Comment

who do you think are the 1% paying 25% of the tax take? Clue - Its not the northerners sitting on the Dole while the Eastern Europeans take all the low paying jobs down south.

See the graph that shows services rising at 45 degrees while manufacturing falls at 5 degrees?

A mine used to employ a few hundred people, the same work is done with one machine and 3 operators. Same is true of most factories.
                Combine that with manufacturing moving offshore both of which were enabled by computers & better communication systems which exploded in the eighties.
                Failure to restrict or balance import costs, invest (not subsidise) manufacturing. Then add Labour unrest and more restrictive labour laws and you can see why we are deep in it.

You have a degree in economics and believe modern Labour will create sustainable jobs despite their history of creating taxpayer funded non jobs - now that deserves a few more

Try analysing the data not feeding your prejudices.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You think it is funny because the objects of your envy are being penalised and brought down to your level. so all the chat about caring for the poor" is bo**ocks. If people genuinely believe that the poor need help then people would be encouraged to earn as much as possible in order to increase the tax take which will (supposedly ) be spent "wisely" on redistributing wealth.

Unfortunately people like you and PollyToynbee are motivated more by envy than anything else

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

"You have a degree in economics and believe modern Labour will create sustainable jobs despite their history of creating taxpayer funded non jobs - now that deserves a few more"
                    I never mentioned anything about politics, your arguments are trite and based on sloppy data. touche :P

Manufacturing is going to decline when you destroy it, you can't simply put it back.
                    Services were the promised land when these decisions were rashly made, so they are going to grow too.
                    Last edited by Scoobos; 1 November 2012, 16:37.

Comment

You think it is funny because the objects of your envy are being penalised and brought down to your level. so all the chat about caring for the poor" is bo**ocks. If people genuinely believe that the poor need help then people would be encouraged to earn as much as possible in order to increase the tax take which will (supposedly ) be spent "wisely" on redistributing wealth.

Unfortunately people like you and PollyToynbee are motivated more by envy than anything else
                      Envy of what? and whats "my level" ?

The simple fact is that the government is supposed to be elected to support the populace as a whole, not a small percentage of it.

It may surprise you to know that only 10% of the population live in London, yet most of these economic masterstrokes simply destroy diversity in labour and geographically exclude the majority of the voting public, from this generated "wealth".

I laughed as in my view, its silly to think that the "high earners" in london pay anywhere near the same proportion of their income on tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X