• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comet plummets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I prefer to buy from bricks and mortar stores when possible as it's easier when you need to return something and I've always been able to issues dealt with there and then.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      That's not my experience, I bought a dryer, dishwasher and laptop from Currys in the past 6 months as they were the cheapest I found despite having shop overheads and even if they were a slightly more expensive I'd still be able to take them back if they fail.

I must admit I didn't need any 'expertise' as I do thorough research and they were all special offers, as is every single thing I buy these days!
      If you are buying a cheapo laptop then there isn't much of a margin and comet and the likes are priced at the same point as all the others. When you look at ones with an i7 processor the difference is huge. when I bought mine theirs were a rubbish spec and more expensive than Dell. The only benefit I would have gained would have been not to have to wait for it to be delivered.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        their staff rarely had any knowledge and the stores followed 80's designs. They failed to build communities or differentiate themselves.
        I was last at a branch of Comet in the early 90s. It already seemed to have been relegated to a shadow of its former self.

Comet were the ones who brought discounts into the hifi world. Everywhere else was selling at full manufacturer's recommended retail prices, and at my budget level, that made the difference between an amp I lusted after and something mediocre.

RIP Comet.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Comet is the sort of store where you go to buy an MP3 player and they have two models, one is £20, the other £50.

You say to the saleschild what is the difference between these two models, they say £30.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I was last at a branch of Comet in the early 90s. It already seemed to have been relegated to a shadow of its former self.

Comet were the ones who brought discounts into the hifi world. Everywhere else was selling at full manufacturer's recommended retail prices, and at my budget level, that made the difference between an amp I lusted after and something mediocre.

RIP Comet.
            ^^^ This !!

Remember the newspaper stylee price lists they used to have ? they ran to 4 or 6 pages. I remember (being about 12 at the time) pouring over the turntable, amp, speaker and tuner sections trying to build my Hi-Fi for under my £50 xmas budget from Santa
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Personally I prefer to buy from bricks and mortar stores when possible as it's easier when you need to return something and I've always been able to issues dealt with there and then.
              Comet used to be really good. However, in the day and age of ubiquitous internet shopping you can't really argue with the choice Amazon provides and the hassle-free way it deals with returns. You can print a return label at home, and a courier will typically pick up any item that doesn't fit in a post box. Maybe in time they'll abuse their market position and come to be as nefarious a company as Google, with their tentacles into everything and a lack of respect for consumer privacy and choice as their core values, but for now I can see how they're knocking high street alteratives into a cocked hat.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Or estate agents (interesting that they have not been replaced by rightmove). I do not think it is so much on line as out of town. The high street has been killed by punitive parking enforcement and ridiculously high rates and rents.

And also High streets now look like the set from a Mad max movie
                The business model is not and never has been to replace estate agents but to fleece them with higher and higher monthly fees.

If you were going to replace estate agents you would actually need people on the ground and that cost money.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Google is your friend they're not nefarious
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Google is your friend they're not nefarious
                    They're the first company I've ever encountered that has to remind themselves not to be evil, let's put it that way.

Comment

Our tumble dryer packed in a couple of weeks ago and needed replacing.
                      So I went to a out of town place that had a comet and currys next door. I went into comet and waited 15 mins for some one to come over. I told them there customer service was awful and walk out and went next door.
                      In the curry's I waited slightly less (10 mins) and when asked if I wanted help I said I wanted a cheap tumble dryer < £200.
                      The youth then proceeded to show me dryers for > £400. I ended up walking out and ordering with tesco direct, got clubcard points and £10 off a purchase of over £75.

The customer experience in both stores are awful

Comment

Working...
                      X