• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life is good when you dont have any kids

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm sure some people do - but you don't admit it even to yourself.

I remember my ante-natal class, a couple from the previous classes came to talk about their experience, and the dad said it had taken him a couple of weeks to love the child. Very brave to admit to it.
    I think it's common for men not to bond immediately with their offspring, but I'd find it hard to believe they didn't love the child.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I remember my ante-natal class, a couple from the previous classes came to talk about their experience, and the dad said it had taken him a couple of weeks to love the child. Very brave to admit to it.
      Absolutely. And it's far better to tell new/expecting parents this can be the case, so they don't torture themselves when having their baby isn't a magical bed of roses and they think this means they've failed.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Absolutely. And it's far better to tell new/expecting parents this can be the case, so they don't torture themselves when having their baby isn't a magical bed of roses and they think this means they've failed.
        I agree. I've told any soon-to-be Dads that they can end up feeling like a spare part for the first six weeks as the new arrival just sleeps feeds and cries, especially if the baby's being breastfed. Then, just as you begin to wonder wtf you've let yourself in for, you get the first smile and everything feels so much better.

Comment

I dunno MP, you're the one with the knowledge here. You say you don't regret it but did you ever feel otherwise in the toughest bits, temporarily?
          Not sure I'm the best person to ask. I struggled to feel anything at all for approximately 12 months after he'd been born. I felt as though someone had forced me to look after this small being, that didn't seem associated with me at all.

Three and a bit years in, I feel completely different - but it took a lot. It's definitely very difficult to admit - everyone's happy to discuss how 'hard' the practical stuff is, but the emotional side certainly feels taboo.

Phew! Bit deep.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Not sure I'm the best person to ask. I struggled to feel anything at all for approximately 12 months after he'd been born. I felt as though someone had forced me to look after this small being, that didn't seem associated with me at all.

Three and a bit years in, I feel completely different - but it took a lot. It's definitely very difficult to admit - everyone's happy to discuss how 'hard' the practical stuff is, but the emotional side certainly feels taboo.

Phew! Bit deep.
            Actually that's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about and makes you exactly the right person to ask... if more people knew it wasn't unheard of to feel that way I think everyone would be better off.

Comment

Actually that's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about and makes you exactly the right person to ask... if more people knew it wasn't unheard of to feel that way I think everyone would be better off.
              Not sure many people feel as I did, actually.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You should have bought a puppy.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

But how would you know?!

Comment

I didn't connect with my third-born for years. However, I have never regretted, not once, having any of my kids.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You may have been suffering from a bit of PND MP. Relatively common side effect. No long term damage though as far as I know.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X