• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things you have discover that nobody else seems aware of

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    If you can eat a fried egg sandwich without losing any of the yolk in the process then good luck to you. They are known as egg banjo's for a reason...

If, however, you are one of those types who look down on the humble fired egg sandwich as a thing to be derided and avoided then all I have to say is

Nowt wrong with a piece and fried egg with brown sauce, you sloppy git!

Comment

Lamb chops , yum yum.

The day before you have your lamb chops, get a sandwich bag, a clove of garlic, a hot chille, some pepper and some salt.

sprinkle the salt and pepper on the chop, then, using the bag as a glove, gently rub the garlic and the pepper into the chop, till it wears down.

place the chops in the bag in the fridge.

fry or grill the next day for the tastiest lamb chops ever

the same works for pork chops, except you have to use pork instead of lamb

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        Nowt wrong with a piece and fried egg with brown sauce, you sloppy git!

Red
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Longbow arrows rarely went through plate armour depsite their modern reputation. An eye witness at Agincoury mentioned how the French armour was proof against English arrows. The archers did kill hundreds of knights but they did this with knives when the French had surrendered because the English knights refused to do it.

William Wallace did not wear a kilt or woad.

Most swords to virtually no damage to a man wearing maille and padding unless you thrust and they are almost useless against plate. I have fought at full power and took many many hits without so much as being hurt let alone stopped.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            I have also discovered that if you don't know whether your remote control is working or not, you can check by pointing your mobile phone's camera at it, looking at the end of the controller through it, and pressing a few buttons. If the controller is working, there's be a visible light coming from the LED as you press the buttons: your camera detects the UV light being emitted by the controller and turns it into visible light.

I've additionally learned that 99/100 blokes will try this surprising phenomenon out immediately after hearing about it, and be surprised that it actually works.
            It's infrared light. The CCD sensors in digital cameras are sensitive into the infrared.

Comment

Re traffic lights being motion rather than light sensitive, I suspect it is the same thing in practice. Flash a light at a motion sensor and it perceives it as motion, does on my very cheap Chinese motion sensitive CCTV system anyway.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Re traffic lights being motion rather than light sensitive, I suspect it is the same thing in practice. Flash a light at a motion sensor and it perceives it as motion, does on my very cheap Chinese motion sensitive CCTV system anyway.
                I think it's just something people think. That is, they pull up/slow down and the light is on red. They flash their lights, but in reality the sensor has already picked up that the car is there or approaching and is in the process of changing the lights. But the driver assumes that it's the flash that has triggered this.

What bugs me is when you see drivers creeping towards lights in the hope that they will change before they get there when you know that the thing to trigger the change is a sensor or an induction thing in the road. Meaning that until you are a certain distance from the lights it won't know you are there and so won't change.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  With temporary traffic lights I usually find that stopping one car length back from where you should tricks the set into thinking there is more cars waiting than there really is
                  Which could leave you waiting around as some sensors only have short range & aim for the first vehicle: I have been stuck behind a driver who did this until I got out & asked him to move forward, after which the lights changed

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  Most swords to virtually no damage to a man wearing maille and padding unless you thrust and they are almost useless against plate. I have fought at full power and took many many hits without so much as being hurt let alone stopped.
                  Back then a fair few sword edges were blunt, thus swords were used as an impact & thrusting weapon (there was a whole style of fighting based on the two handed sword being used in this manner) swing a big lump of metal at someone (even in plate) & you can knock them down & stab them through the eye slits (chivalric sword fights are a renaissance myth, the medieval ages were grim, bloody & downright nasty)
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I wish I had something to add, but a great thread - some really good stuff in here from some!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                      I wish I had something to add, but a great thread - some really good stuff in here from some!
                      I knew Scoobos had nothing to add. Even he has only just learnt that!
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X