• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nasty Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a couple of problems early in my contracting career. One of which consisted of some contractor throwing a punch at me and another consisted of me having a chat with someone outside the office.

These days I have learnt how to deal with all kinds of people, especially difficult ones.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Had a couple of problems early in my contracting career. One of which consisted of some contractor throwing a punch at me and another consisted of me having a chat with someone outside the office.

These days I have learnt how to deal with all kinds of people, especially difficult ones.
      I expect your general attire must help take the heat out of many contentious situations too MF.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

If you can't point to the Nasty Contractor in the room then you are the Nasty Contractor
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Indeed I was thinking of making a poll/thread about it but then the biaatch next to me changed me priorities.
          Good idea. Your last poll was a belter!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Good idea. Your last poll was a belter!!
            Which one was that then?

Comment

Only ever had issues with one place in the 14 years of contracting.

Current client is good and hope to get an extension next week - working for a contractor which is different.

I mostly have my own area - working on projects usually no issues as I deliver.

During a SOx project a few years ago it did get very infantile - I sidestepped it at first but then enjoyed mixing it up at the end of the project.

I got rehired a year later- no issues.

Tone

Comment

I have a theory that if you've got one poisonous person in the group, overall productivity goes down 40%, if you've got two, about 70%, and so on. That's because communication links are broken, distrust is sown, etc.

Client managers don't seem to mind this at all though. Actually often it is the manager who is the most poisonous person, or who has inserted the poisonous person into the group in order to "ensure a good mix of personality types," or (more honestly) to have somebody on his side, a corporate climber type, within the techie circle.
                Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  Has anybody every worked with really nasty, unfriendly contractors? I have worked at several places both as a permie and now contracting and have never had any issues with any of the people working around me. This time round there is this really nasty and unfriendly contractor who doesn't speak or communicate with anybody and is just plain rude. The first few days I made an effort to talk and communicate but have now given myself the challenge to see how long I can avoid talking to them......

Feel like smashing the person against the wall....
                  The only seriously unfriendly coder (permie) I've met was autistic, wouldn't look anyone in the face, let alone in the eye; named his variables depending on what he ate the night before and never said anything to anyone, just grunted.

I suspect no-one fired him because they didn't know how.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    The only seriously unfriendly coder (permie) I've met was autistic, wouldn't look anyone in the face, let alone in the eye; named his variables depending on what he ate the night before and never said anything to anyone, just grunted.

You've worked with AtW?!?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I don't remember working with you!

and the only reason my coding caused so much confusion was because I ate Pitza every night
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X