• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you throw litter on the street?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Right - outside then. I challenge you to any iron-man (or derivative thereof) at a place of your choosing.....

But I think you are wrong. Not everyone is as clever as you. Most people are really really stupid, and without a bin handy will just dump stuff.
    Stupid or just bloody lazy? You're not telling me that people are too stupid to realise that dropping litter in the street is not a sensible thing to do.

If waste bins are disappearing then take "YOUR" rubbish home with you!

Anyway, thanks for the rant, I feel better now.

Comment

Even worse is litter way out in the countryside, you would think people who liked walking in the country would not be the sort to spoil it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I remember reading once that 80% of litter is smoking related.

Rooftop snipers. It's the only real solution.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          About once a month I have to pick out all the cans, bottles, fag boxes and crisp packets before walking the fifteen feet to dump them in the litter bin. It drives me fe<king crazy.
          Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Stupid or just bloody lazy? You're not telling me that people are too stupid to realise that dropping litter in the street is not a sensible thing to do.

It's not that there are no bins. It's that there is no bin placed EXACTLY where the lazy, feckless tw@t is stood at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

You are welcome. Though I thought the only think that would make you feel better is challenging me to a cage fight! Not that I would be any sort of challenge.

I am not sure about the stupid/lazy split. However the twins yesterday had a lesson on the evils of smoking and drinking! Kids are not taught common sense these days - they expect someone to do everything for them.

And I have already told the twins that at 18 they will have to stand on their own feet. I will be too old to help much anyway - but even if I was younger I would not. Anyway, from the age of 13 I wanted to be totally independent. I went to Exeter uni instead of Cambridge to get away from home (back then it was 7th term entry only).

Comment

I don't drop litter - my parents taught me not to and I'm teaching my kid not to.

When I was growing up, my mate from up the road used to throw littereverywhere, his Dad used to say "people get paid to clean it up".

Comment

People have a habit of picking up dog's mess in bags and leaving it at the side of footpaths, which looks unsightly and unhygienic unless the bags rot. Which may be why there are now signs up asking people to flick it off the path rather than bag it. Forget the catchy phrase they use, "flick it, not bag it" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  People have a habit of picking up dog's mess in bags and leaving it at the side of footpaths, which looks unsightly and unhygienic unless the bags rot. Which may be why there are now signs up asking people to flick it off the path rather than bag it. Forget the catchy phrase they use, "flick it, not bag it" or something.
                  I recently had a rant about that on Mumsnet.

It's about time we started fining people about litter or we started having those 'Don't drop litter public films on telly again'.

In fact, best to put these on for people who live near Wilmslow. Charlie says no to seeing some puppies - YouTube
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

We had a long walk on Sat culminating with a treat feeding the ducks at a local lake. We saw parents with their kids, simply discard their bread bags on the ground. Got a few choice comments on picking some up as well. I think peoples view on what's morally acceptable in this country has declined massively.

Wasn't even like this in the early 90's, was deemed socially irresponsible. The chav society, the entitled society if you ask me. Blame labour. I do.

Having said that, on my travels, I have seen far worse. Travel to Asia or the Caribbean and you'll see families at the beaches, at the lakes just leave bags of tulip lying around. Go to China and walk through the sea of phlegm that slimes the pavements.

Have to agree with you here. tulip state this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
                      We had a long walk on Sat culminating with a treat feeding the ducks at a local lake. We saw parents with their kids, simply discard their bread bags on the ground. Got a few choice comments on picking some up as well. I think peoples view on what's morally acceptable in this country has declined massively.

Wasn't even like this in the early 90's, was deemed socially irresponsible. The chav society, the entitled society if you ask me. Blame labour. I do.

Having said that, on my travels, I have seen far worse. Travel to Asia or the Caribbean and you'll see families at the beaches, at the lakes just leave bags of tulip lying around. Go to China and walk through the sea of phlegm that slimes the pavements.

Have to agree with you here. tulip state this country.
                      Singapore. Spotless.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X