• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use tiddlywikis for project, logs and time management with particular logins.

TiddlyWiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I still struggle with focus. If I'm on here spouting bollocks during the day it's because I'm doing something I hate (like documentation)

If I'm on durng the evening it's because I'm doing something I hate (like catching up with documentation I didn't do during the day because I was spouting bollocks on CUK)

and if I'm not on it's because I'm actually doing something I enjoy.

I don't tend to do stuff I enjoy so much now.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I still struggle with focus.
        Is FOCUS still around?

I remember FOCUS from the good ole days!
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I still struggle with focus. If I'm on here spouting bollocks during the day it's because I'm doing something I hate (like documentation)
          Amen to that. My time here is inversely proportional to the level of interest in the tasks outstanding. Normally that's ok but having stepped up a gear recently I acknowledge the need to sort the 'being properly organised' thing out once and for all.

Comment

I still struggle with focus.
            Reading glasses

I don't tend to do stuff I enjoy so much now.
            Well, sort it out man. You must enjoy something other than onanism and Doctor Who?!
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              So, all you deeply structured and analytical people, and in particular, the PMs amongst you...

...how do you stay organised most effectively when you're working across multiple projects, from day to day? Is it through judicious use of Outlook? Simple lists? Special time-management apps? Other methods? What do you do to keep on top of things and stay pro-active?

I ask, because one of my greatest strengths (lateral, creative thinking) is also my greatest weakness in respect to being structured and organised. It means I'm fantastic at brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, but I'm utterly crap at structuring my own time and being methodical.

I look forward to the usual flaming and wisdom in equal measure.
              I have a folder called C:\tasks, with a sub-folder for each task I'm either responsible for or tasks dependent on those which others are assigned to complete (such as adding columns to live database tables, or updating the live crontabs, which I don't have access to).

I adjust the names depending on the status, and each task subfolder contains a text file, notes.txt, of notes related to the task, plus (optionally) documents and screen shots etc.

The tasks folder also has a "DONE" and "HOLD" subfolders, for tasks in those respective statuses.

(Clientco uses FogBugz for task "threads", and each task subfolder name contains the FogBugz number.)

May sound a bit crude, but it works for me and I currently have over 20 tasks on the go.

edit: I don't use paper at all, and antiquated dead wood notepads, except to take notes in meetings. The results are then typed into my notes files.
              Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 June 2011, 18:43.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Well, sort it out man. You must enjoy something other than onanism and Doctor Who?!
                I've got CUK, onanism and Doctor Who so far.

Hey Zippy, you wearing that Dalek outfit?????
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've got CUK, onanism and Doctor Who so far.

Hey Zippy, you wearing that Dalek outfit?????
                  <cough>
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                  X