• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I would say that is good time management. I only bother to do that with the absolutely critical stuff.
    The thing with my admittedly "winging it a bit" approach is that I hit deadlines and where (unrecoverable issues aside which are obviously discussed when they arise) deliver to agreed dates, it works for me and I'm careful to give as much advance notice as practical to stakeholder teams when their stuff is needed by.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Hey ho... another neg rep from you
      That wasn't me, but thanks for the -rep anyway.

It seemed the obvious answer - the industry is awash with people who come up with 'ideas' but the same people are unable to implement or understand any limitations around those same ideas
      I see your point - and agree with you. I've been fine (despite my inability to multi-task) thanks to the fact I've largely had to cope with one project at a time, up until now.

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      I suppose it depends on why you thik you lack organisation skills. Are you constantly interrupted? Do you get distracted by the more interesting things?
      A bit of both I guess. The aforementioned lack of multi-tasking is horrific when you're responsible for several simultaneously, each at different stages, with the phone/desk clatter/ad-hoc meetings distracting you. And it is tempting to do the more interesting things first and wait until the pressure's really on to be forced into dealing with the mundane.
      What makes it trickier is each project is very different from the other, with very different mental 'models' or 'modes' required - eg one's a detailed requirements gathering piece of work, another quite visual, another all about business-processes and operating models, and each have very different users (Retail/Internal staff/Brokers).

If anything - faffing about on here is a welcome break!

<cough>procrastination</cough>

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I would say that is good time management. I only bother to do that with the absolutely critical stuff.
        Contractors are reknowned for poor documentation. Hence project plans, gantt charts, task lists and more importantly business reqs with a risk analysis and in-scope / out scope section are critical.

At clientco recently they asked me to
        some additional project planning and a risk analysis of another project that is failing. I bemoaned the request much to their surprise 'But you're always doing documentation, it's really good stuff' to which my reply was 'i hate it, it's difficult but that's why all of my projects are ahead of schedule and to date I've delivered everything on time'

I hate it, but it's a necessary evil.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Contractors are reknowned for poor documentation. Hence project plans, gantt charts, task lists and more importantly business reqs with a risk analysis and in-scope / out scope section are critical.
          Not for picking up a pint of milk and some loo rolls.

Risk Analysis
          • Skidmarks are a possibility

Out of Scope
          • Tea bags
          • Newspaper
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As well as the ever present project plans, I rely heavily on task lists.

I've found it useful to block out a half hour in the morning to review my task list and again close of play to make my to do list for the next day.

As someone already said writing things down often helps you remember.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

All talk and no trousers syndrome...

Obvious thought would be to quit spending time moderating this board..

HTH
              As if he spends a huge amount of time on it now...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                That wasn't me, but thanks for the -rep anyway.

I see your point - and agree with you. I've been fine (despite my inability to multi-task) thanks to the fact I've largely had to cope with one project at a time, up until now.

A bit of both I guess. The aforementioned lack of multi-tasking is horrific when you're responsible for several simultaneously, each at different stages, with the phone/desk clatter/ad-hoc meetings distracting you. And it is tempting to do the more interesting things first and wait until the pressure's really on to be forced into dealing with the mundane.
                What makes it trickier is each project is very different from the other, with very different mental 'models' or 'modes' required - eg one's a detailed requirements gathering piece of work, another quite visual, another all about business-processes and operating models, and each have very different users (Retail/Internal staff/Brokers).

If anything - faffing about on here is a welcome break!

<cough>procrastination</cough>
                So - in a nutshell - you are looking for a kick up the arse?

If you have boring and interesting stuff to do then assign time to both during the same day. Do the boring shit: first so you can look forward to a 'treat' after lunch.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

My golden rule - FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT AND NOT WHAT IS URGENT

It rings true.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    So - in a nutshell - you are looking for a kick up the arse?

Aren't I always?

Truth in jest, the problem has probably as much to do with self discipline as methodology. It's helpful knowing how others organise themselves though - especially in distraction-rich, multi-project situations. Some nuggets of wisdom so far - thanks.

I'm still interested in any productivity apps that have really made a difference, will check out onenote - hope it's cross platform.

Comment

I use Checkvist: collaborative online outliner and checklist it's practically free to use, it's great for creating lists which can be sorted, prioritised, crossed off.

Comment

Working...
                      X