• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Time Management

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time Management"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've got CUK, onanism and Doctor Who so far.

Hey Zippy, you wearing that Dalek outfit?????
    <cough>

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Well, sort it out man. You must enjoy something other than onanism and Doctor Who?!
    I've got CUK, onanism and Doctor Who so far.

Hey Zippy, you wearing that Dalek outfit?????

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    So, all you deeply structured and analytical people, and in particular, the PMs amongst you...

...how do you stay organised most effectively when you're working across multiple projects, from day to day? Is it through judicious use of Outlook? Simple lists? Special time-management apps? Other methods? What do you do to keep on top of things and stay pro-active?

I ask, because one of my greatest strengths (lateral, creative thinking) is also my greatest weakness in respect to being structured and organised. It means I'm fantastic at brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, but I'm utterly crap at structuring my own time and being methodical.

I look forward to the usual flaming and wisdom in equal measure.
    I have a folder called C:\tasks, with a sub-folder for each task I'm either responsible for or tasks dependent on those which others are assigned to complete (such as adding columns to live database tables, or updating the live crontabs, which I don't have access to).

I adjust the names depending on the status, and each task subfolder contains a text file, notes.txt, of notes related to the task, plus (optionally) documents and screen shots etc.

The tasks folder also has a "DONE" and "HOLD" subfolders, for tasks in those respective statuses.

(Clientco uses FogBugz for task "threads", and each task subfolder name contains the FogBugz number.)

May sound a bit crude, but it works for me and I currently have over 20 tasks on the go.

edit: I don't use paper at all, and antiquated dead wood notepads, except to take notes in meetings. The results are then typed into my notes files.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 June 2011, 18:43.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I still struggle with focus.
    Reading glasses

I don't tend to do stuff I enjoy so much now.
    Well, sort it out man. You must enjoy something other than onanism and Doctor Who?!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I still struggle with focus. If I'm on here spouting bollocks during the day it's because I'm doing something I hate (like documentation)
    Amen to that. My time here is inversely proportional to the level of interest in the tasks outstanding. Normally that's ok but having stepped up a gear recently I acknowledge the need to sort the 'being properly organised' thing out once and for all.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    I still struggle with focus.
    Is FOCUS still around?

I remember FOCUS from the good ole days!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I still struggle with focus. If I'm on here spouting bollocks during the day it's because I'm doing something I hate (like documentation)

If I'm on durng the evening it's because I'm doing something I hate (like catching up with documentation I didn't do during the day because I was spouting bollocks on CUK)

and if I'm not on it's because I'm actually doing something I enjoy.

I don't tend to do stuff I enjoy so much now.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I use tiddlywikis for project, logs and time management with particular logins.

TiddlyWiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• deanosity
    replied
    I use Checkvist: collaborative online outliner and checklist it's practically free to use, it's great for creating lists which can be sorted, prioritised, crossed off.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    So - in a nutshell - you are looking for a kick up the arse?

Aren't I always?

Truth in jest, the problem has probably as much to do with self discipline as methodology. It's helpful knowing how others organise themselves though - especially in distraction-rich, multi-project situations. Some nuggets of wisdom so far - thanks.

I'm still interested in any productivity apps that have really made a difference, will check out onenote - hope it's cross platform.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    My golden rule - FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT AND NOT WHAT IS URGENT

It rings true.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    That wasn't me, but thanks for the -rep anyway.

I see your point - and agree with you. I've been fine (despite my inability to multi-task) thanks to the fact I've largely had to cope with one project at a time, up until now.

A bit of both I guess. The aforementioned lack of multi-tasking is horrific when you're responsible for several simultaneously, each at different stages, with the phone/desk clatter/ad-hoc meetings distracting you. And it is tempting to do the more interesting things first and wait until the pressure's really on to be forced into dealing with the mundane.
    What makes it trickier is each project is very different from the other, with very different mental 'models' or 'modes' required - eg one's a detailed requirements gathering piece of work, another quite visual, another all about business-processes and operating models, and each have very different users (Retail/Internal staff/Brokers).

If anything - faffing about on here is a welcome break!

<cough>procrastination</cough>
    So - in a nutshell - you are looking for a kick up the arse?

If you have boring and interesting stuff to do then assign time to both during the same day. Do the boring shit: first so you can look forward to a 'treat' after lunch.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    All talk and no trousers syndrome...

Obvious thought would be to quit spending time moderating this board..

HTH
    As if he spends a huge amount of time on it now...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    As well as the ever present project plans, I rely heavily on task lists.

I've found it useful to block out a half hour in the morning to review my task list and again close of play to make my to do list for the next day.

As someone already said writing things down often helps you remember.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Contractors are reknowned for poor documentation. Hence project plans, gantt charts, task lists and more importantly business reqs with a risk analysis and in-scope / out scope section are critical.
    Not for picking up a pint of milk and some loo rolls.

Risk Analysis
    • Skidmarks are a possibility

Out of Scope
    • Tea bags
    • Newspaper

Leave a comment:

Working...
X