• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want some shiny things

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Definition of "Boat": Hole in the water you pour money into.
    But unlike a car, the boat will hold its value. Depends on the kind of boat too, and how you use it. Racing wears everything out fast, pottering around in the Med less so.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Cookware and tools.

Not investments in the sense of being things that I can sell at a later date for more than I originally paid, but investments in the sense that I will save money in the long run and benefit in other ways from owning them e.g. good tools help preserve the value and prolong the lifetime of other things such as bicycles, good cookware means cooking is more fun so I save money on takeaways.
      Get yourself a set of Global knives and some le creuset. A joy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        WHS - my set of saucepans and casserole dishes are 17 years old and still going strong.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I don't like the global tbh. Zwillinge are nice, I have a couple of other Japanese ones and a Kyocera ceramic one too.

There are a lot of good German and swiss pans. I tend to go with those.

Rösle for the other stuff.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            What happens if you put your £100k in a bank in some country with a 15% interest rate... or even borrow money in the UK to put in a savings account in another nation? Presumably there is something to stop this otherwise it would be free money.

Interesting idea, where do you find out about these high interest foreign accounts?

Maybe you have to be resident in the country to be able to open one of these accounts?

I certainly like the idea of having accounts in various countries that may or may not outperform the pound and home interest rates over the medium term, as a way of spreading the risk.

I suppose the easier option (if higher interest accounts abroad are not easy to set up from the UK) is to buy or invest in foreign currency?
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

In India they give nice interest rates.
              But I doubt you can put your GBP, EUR or USD in the account.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

A powerboat will guzzle fuel which is also expensive.

Yeah, it would have to be a sail boat to keep costs down. If only the oceans were always as smooth as in Dead Calm.

Though I did once have the idea of harvesting seaweed for its oil content that could be turned into biodiesel. I believe the sargasso sea is full of the stuff, and even the med is being overrun with a hostile variant that was flushed out of a research lab by accident and is spreading like the proverbial wild fire, so the authorities would be glad of someone coming along and cleaning it up.

Not sure if a wetsuit, sharp knife, mangle, and oil container is all that would be required though.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Ooooh. Shiny things. I like shiny things.
                  Just going to collect this :

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Just going to collect this :

I had to think for a mo before clicking on that linky.

I thought Suity had a penchant for a type of man popsicle.

Comment

I had to think for a mo before clicking on that linky.

I thought Suity had a penchant for a type of man popsicle.
                      OK 2 things.

a) What linky? I posted an embedded image.
                      b) What's a man popsicle?
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X