• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I want some shiny things"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Oh.

Lidl have some in stock once again then?
    I got some of these.

Wiha SoftFinish® Sätze / Schraubendreher / Onlineshop / Wiha.com / Hochwertige Schraubenzieher und Schraubendreher. Premium Werkzeuge für Profis.

Not shiny though, they have a nice matt chrome finish.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Aren't things boring on CUK when we are reduced to discussing the colour of our pots and pans?
    I have a matching lasagne dish that is also 18 years old. Still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Brazil, India = 3rd world.
    No they're not. Not that the term really has a strict definition it would appear... we use the term in common parlance to mean something different from what it was originally coined to describe:
    Third World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Three Worlds Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    A word of warning - If you open an account with a US bank, and then don't touch it for a couple of weeks (or not much longer), they'll pinch the lot on the grounds that it's a "dormant account" and then deny it ever existed!

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Brazil, India = 3rd world.

You would be barmy to put money there as a foreigner (unless it is dirty money you need to launder).

try getting it out and you will encounter all sorts of regulations, taxes, fees, flying pig donations, pay-offs, bribes etc etc delays, forms - and all to the most decent of folks.

The US will give you a TIN (tax id number) not an SSN from the State where your account is and if you fill out a certain form which confirms you will pay tax on the interest in the UK or the US as you wish.

US = 0.95% interest maybe 1.5 with a 5 year CD - great.
    Last edited by Fishface; 5 May 2011, 00:01. Reason: dirty cash

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Interesting idea, where do you find out about these high interest foreign accounts?
    I simply meant to open a fairly standard bank account in countries with high interest rates. For instance Brazil

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    In India they give nice interest rates.
    But I doubt you can put your GBP, EUR or USD in the account.
    The issue is simply getting an account in that country in the first place. I don't know how you do this. In the US I think you can apply for a 'fake' SSN and then get a proper US account, it all appears a bit torturous but OTOH might be worth the effort. You could even make a plan B out of setting this up for other people.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Aren't things boring on CUK when we are reduced to discussing the colour of our pots and pans?
    Well I am off to buy some nice screwdrivers. That's pretty interesting

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Mine are blue. What about yours?
    They're the orange colour and I have black storage jars which I really like.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I bought mine when I was 18

Makes me feel super old
    Mine are blue. What about yours?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Mine are 18. I feel old.
    I bought mine when I was 18

Makes me feel super old
    Last edited by cailin maith; 4 May 2011, 15:28.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    WHS - my set of saucepans and casserole dishes are 17 years old and still going strong.
    Mine are 18. I feel old.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    £30K yacht?!?

That's what a 30-foot sailing yacht cost 2nd hand back then, yes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Considering I've done a lot of sailing and my parents own a yacht, yes. They bought one for about £30k and sold it for darn near the same a decade later. Try that with a 2nd-hand car.
    £30K yacht?!?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    You haven't researched that one very well, have you?
    Considering I've done a lot of sailing and my parents own a yacht, yes. They bought one for about £30k and sold it for darn near the same a decade later. Try that with a 2nd-hand car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X