• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evangelical Christians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no doubt that the bible was manipulated by the early Church. It is not something that should be held as, well 'gospel'.

Comment

If that's true - which is kind of hard to demonstrate as you'd have to show what it was manipulated from - then it would only apply to the New Testament. Unless by manipulated you mean "put together by", in which case it's kind of self-evident.

All the other stuff about suppressed gospels etc. is about as as scholarly as Dan Brown, and should be treated with the seriousness that you'd reserve for any other kind of conspiracy theory.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If that's true - which is kind of hard to demonstrate as you'd have to show what it was manipulated from - then it would only apply to the New Testament
        So where then do the apocrypha fit in then? Who decided that they should be in or out of the main cannon and on who's authority did they make that decision? I am thinking here about books like Tobit, 1 and 2 Esdras, Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary, etc.
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
          So where then do the apocrypha fit in then? Who decided that they should be in or out of the main cannon and on who's authority did they make that decision? I am thinking here about books like Tobit, 1 and 2 Esdras, Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary, etc.
          Radio 4 has a series on at the moment about the King James Bible - you should be able to catch it on iplayer
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

All the other stuff about suppressed gospels etc. is about as as scholarly as Dan Brown
            Have you actually looked at the history of the modern version of the Bible? Dan Brown clearly did, successful authors have to to in order to make their stories seem plausible.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              So I do have a capacity for rational discussion? I will take that as a compliment.
              Actually in a backwards way, it is one. Until that point, I was genuinely enjoying debating with you.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Religion is a personal choice that can be taken or left. I will always respect a person for taking a conscious decision of faith even if they do scream down a megaphone.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  What is scripture?
                  This is where that whole "owning a dictionary" thing kicks in

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    If that's true - which is kind of hard to demonstrate as you'd have to show what it was manipulated from - then it would only apply to the New Testament. Unless by manipulated you mean "put together by", in which case it's kind of self-evident.

All the other stuff about suppressed gospels etc. is about as as scholarly as Dan Brown, and should be treated with the seriousness that you'd reserve for any other kind of conspiracy theory.
                    I think the authors of The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Constantine may well differ from your opinion. The NT was a political instrument to try and combine the very differing early Christianities under one faith who then recognise the Emperor as Gods leader on Earth.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      I think the authors of The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Constantine may well differ from your opinion. The NT was a political instrument to try and combine the very differing early Christianities under one faith who then recognise the Emperor as Gods leader on Earth.
                      Careful mate, they don't like inconvenient truths like that...

Comment

Working...
                      X