• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I suspect for people who (for eg) lose a child, it's surprising what you might start to believe, just to get through. Hence these 'psychic' con artists still being able to ply their trade.
    I have friends that have done this. One lost her mother and has turned to faith just to know that she is in a better place. She wasn't religious at all before but it makes her happy to think there is something else and her mum is there.

Thing that gets me is surely if you believe there is a higher deity controlling life and all that or have faith in something more, why don't people think about why this deity or whatever has taken their child/mother etc. People with faith I feel always want to believe the good things but seem to forget by the same argument their relatives etc are happy and in good hands it was the same thing that took them away. Anything is always good if you want to ignore the bad side of it
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Jury is still out on whether God exists or not.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I have friends that have done this. One lost her mother and has turned to faith just to know that she is in a better place. She wasn't religious at all before but it makes her happy to think there is something else and her mum is there.

Thing that gets me is surely if you believe there is a higher deity controlling life and all that or have faith in something more, why don't people think about why this deity or whatever has taken their child/mother etc. People with faith I feel always want to believe the good things but seem to forget by the same argument their relatives etc are happy and in good hands it was the same thing that took them away. Anything is always good if you want to ignore the bad side of it
        logic alert

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          The Jury is still out on whether God exists or not.
          It might help if God were defined. It could mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Old bloke. Bit like MF's avatar.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Old bloke. Bit like MF's avatar.
              WC Grace.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Probably because their faith is something they construct themself as a protection against the world. You are quite right, but Christianity doesn't describe itself as something to make life easy and warm and comfortable. In many countries, to become a Christian is to open yourself for real persecution and even risk of death, somewhat akin to a Pakistani moving to a BNP street. All this warm and fuzzy "acting Christian" CofE stuff gives the wrong impression (IMHO). Deciding to believe in some kind of Heaven simply because you lost a child, well that does fit in with Sas' claims of delusion.
                Last edited by d000hg; 7 December 2010, 16:05.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Not sure about God, but I've heard that Heaven is a half pipe.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Probably because their faith is something they construct themself as a protection against the world. You are quite right, but Christianity doesn't describe itself as something to make life easy and warm and comfortable. In many countries, to become a Christian is to open yourself for real persecution and even risk of death, somewhat akin to a Pakistani moving to a BNP street. All this warm and fuzzy "acting Christian" CofE stuff gives the wrong impression (IMHO). Deciding to believe in some kind of Heaven simply because you lost a child, well that does fit in with Sas' claims of delusion.
                    Yeah I agree, Christians will kill each other because they disagree on which is the best type of Christianity (see Northern Ireland for recent example), none of this warm and fuzzy stuff.

Comment

Sas, do you think that any one who does have faith, gives two hoots about what you think anyway?
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X