• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Son mugged on Friday!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    He who runs away lives to run away another day.

I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. I once had a guy approach me in a dark street asking for money to fill up his car. I asked to see his car keys, which he seemed a little pissed off about. Anyway I gave him a pound and he was on his way. I wondered later whether he'd been sizing me up. Had I thought it was a mugging, and I didn't at the time, he'd have had to work for his money.

I don't know how I'd react if there were more than one and/or if weapons were involved. There's always running away I suppose. But unless he were of Africa/carribean origin, I'd likely thump a single unarmed attacker. I'd think twice about tackling a member of the aforementioned ethnic group though, because I've seen the result of too many boxing matches. Never bet on the white man.
    If you are approached and feel that you are about to be mugged, think the following...

"What does he know that I don't?"

"Is he armed?"

"Are his mates round the corner?"

"Just how pissed am I?"

"Where can I run?"

The first lesson in self-defence is to try not to put yourself in a position where you need to use the other 99.

If you need to use the other lessons then try to do the following...

"Shout loud, be angry!"

"Breathe"

"Hit hard, fast and as though you mean it, you don't care what damage you do. You want to drop your attacker."

"Breathe"

"Run"

Btw, did I mention that FFS, Breathe!

Hth.

Comment

This would have never happened if citizens of Great Britain had their God given right to bear concealed firearms - also plasma pulse rifles in 40 megawatt range

Comment

Thanks for the responses, some useful and thoughtful, but ATW you really are a waste of space sometimes.

I was glad that he did not get hurt, as some say you never know if some one it carrying a weapon.

The thing my son cared about was the fact that he had his rent money for me in there, so at the end of the day looking on the bright side. He wasn't hurt, the bloke ended up with a phone where the battery usually packs up after a minute on the phone (been urging my son to get a new one for ages), we barred the phone and the sim and he even got to keep his credit on a new sim that is coming with the same number, bank cards etc have been stopped, and my son has no more cash than he would have if he paid me the rent money instead. Now all I need to do is a few hours work to clear the rent money instead of him.

I'm sure in the long term he will get over it.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

But unless he were of Africa/carribean origin, I'd likely thump a single unarmed attacker..
          Racist!
          The one I thumped was black.
          I'm an equal opportunity puncher.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

He who runs away lives to run away another day.
            I prefer the Shakesperean "Discretion is the better part of valour. For which better part, I am still alive".

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            This would have never happened if citizens of Great Britain had their God given right to bear concealed firearms
            That's right. Instead of having money demanded with menaces, they shoot you with no warning, and then take your money out of your cold dead corpse. And your plasma rifle.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              That's right. Instead of having money demanded with menaces, they shoot you with no warning, and then take your money out of your cold dead corpse. And your plasma rifle.
              That does not seem to happen much in France or Germany.

Comment

That does not seem to happen much in France or Germany.
                Where, of course, the citizens are mostly armed
                You really are a complete moron sometimes.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Where, of course, the citizens are mostly armed
                  You really are a complete moron sometimes.
                  They are not mostly armed, but firearms laws there are pretty liberal compared to country where pepper spray is classed as a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    Thanks for the responses, some useful and thoughtful, but ATW you really are a waste of space sometimes.

I was glad that he did not get hurt, as some say you never know if some one it carrying a weapon.

The thing my son cared about was the fact that he had his rent money for me in there, so at the end of the day looking on the bright side. He wasn't hurt, the bloke ended up with a phone where the battery usually packs up after a minute on the phone (been urging my son to get a new one for ages), we barred the phone and the sim and he even got to keep his credit on a new sim that is coming with the same number, bank cards etc have been stopped, and my son has no more cash than he would have if he paid me the rent money instead. Now all I need to do is a few hours work to clear the rent money instead of him.

I'm sure in the long term he will get over it.
                    Am certainly not trying to make light of this but I got mugged in London as a 20 year old while working on the building of Canary Wharf and it wasn't pleasant for awhile after. Couple of years on it was a bit of a badge or pride/story to tell. Losing the wallet and phone in the long run is just an inconvenience and will be forgotten shortly. The actual event will lose it's menace over time and just add to the colourful stories of our youth. If nothing else he will be prepared for next time which can't be a bad thing.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They are not mostly armed,
                      So your previous post was completely pointless and meaningless ?

Like I said, logic is not your strong point is it?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X