• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

FFS, One Day Off Isn't That Bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FFS, One Day Off Isn't That Bad

    BP CEO Tony Hayward has faced fresh criticism for taking time off to go boating with his son instead of dealing with the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

    So, the man hasn't had any time off since the company he runs fscked up so badly, and he takes one day to spend time with his family.

    I'm far from impressed with the way BP have handled this wretched mess, and even less impressed with the dodgy practices that killed a number of people and got them into the mess, but what do the powers that be want him to do? Go underwater and fsck fish? He's only management, for fscks sake: the real work can carry on in his absence
    Last edited by NickFitz; 20 June 2010, 02:54. Reason: Re-ordering a sentence

    #2
    It makes you so mad it's broken your link.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      It makes you so mad it's broken your link.


      That's weird. I thought initially it might be because I had to trim a bunch of stuff off that gets appended because of the BBC News redesign trial I'm on (they're watching me...) but now I'm not so sure: I think it could be a bug in vBulletin, possibly triggered by editing a post that starts with a link.

      I'll have to have a play on the dev server, but the link worked when I first posted it, and then later turned into http://"http://rest.of.the.link/blah which is clearly wrong

      One more for the list

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        BP CEO Tony Hayward has faced fresh criticism for taking time off to go boating with his son instead of dealing with the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

        So, the man hasn't had any time off since the company he runs fscked up so badly, and he takes one day to spend time with his family.

        I'm far from impressed with the way BP have handled this wretched mess, and even less impressed with the dodgy practices that killed a number of people and got them into the mess, but what do the powers that be want him to do? Go underwater and fsck fish? He's only management, for fscks sake: the real work can carry on in his absence
        I don't think it's the day off per se, I think it's the choice of activity that attracted the criticism.

        Comment


          #5
          To be frank, it's not like he's the chap operating the relief drill, so he could take several days off - and it wouldn't really matter. There isn't much he can do on a day-to-day basis.

          But I can also understand the people in the Gulf saying that they would also like to get a day's break from the oil, but no such chance for them.

          Of all things to do - go sailing in clean (ish) waters

          Comment


            #6
            And here's another thing

            Take, for example, the shortage of oil skimming ships in the Gulf. There’s a whole flotilla of them on offer from a variety of European sources. They cannot, however, be used.

            For there is this thing called the Jones Act. It started out, in the 20s (think that’s right) as a way to support the US Merchant Marine. It is now simply a support for the US Seamen’s unions.

            What it says is that only US owned and crewed ships may operate in US coastal waters.

            Thus those European owned and crewed ones may not: however much they might be needed, however much good they might do.
            and from the comments there:

            You have missed the manufacturer in N.E. USA who has vast lengths of oil booms and who has, although he has attempted to contact the authorities, been ignored.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

            Comment


              #7
              I agree, ridiculous.
              bloggoth

              If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

              Comment


                #8
                Has Obama taken a day off? As president with the oil crisis and troops in Iraq I would expect him to work full time for the entire length of his presidency!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Has Obama taken a day off? As president with the oil crisis and troops in Iraq I would expect him to work full time for the entire length of his presidency!
                  April 20 2010: "An explosion on the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico, around 40 miles south east of Louisiana, kills 11 workers and injures 17 others."

                  April 22 2010: "The US Coast Guard estimates that the rig is leaking oil at the rate of up to 8,000 barrels a day."

                  Linky

                  April 25 2010: "Golf holiday in Asheville continues for President Obama. Picture this: President Barack Obama, the leader of the free world, down on his hands and knees searching for his golf ball in the trees on the 7th hole at the Grove Park Inn golf course. That was the image Saturday morning, as the prez and his buddies Marty Nesbitt, Eric Whitaker and Marvin Nicholson played golf for the second day in a row."

                  Linky

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    April 20 2010: "An explosion on the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico, around 40 miles south east of Louisiana, kills 11 workers and injures 17 others."

                    April 22 2010: "The US Coast Guard estimates that the rig is leaking oil at the rate of up to 8,000 barrels a day."

                    Linky

                    April 25 2010: "Golf holiday in Asheville continues for President Obama. Picture this: President Barack Obama, the leader of the free world, down on his hands and knees searching for his golf ball in the trees on the 7th hole at the Grove Park Inn golf course. That was the image Saturday morning, as the prez and his buddies Marty Nesbitt, Eric Whitaker and Marvin Nicholson played golf for the second day in a row."

                    Linky
                    But least he didn't rub anyones elses nose in it by going sailing.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X