• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FFS, One Day Off Isn't That Bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP has 92,000 employees. Are they all banned from sailing now? What about other water sports such as canoeing?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      BP has 92,000 employees. Are they all banned from sailing now? What about other water sports such as canoeing?
      Or bondage and humiliation?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        I went sailing when I worked there, although that was a few years back. Will I still be allowed to go to Disneyland?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I went sailing when I worked there, although that was a few years back. Will I still be allowed to go to Disneyland?
          I doubt it, looks like the oil spill has killed Mickey!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            BP CEO Tony Hayward has faced fresh criticism for taking time off to go boating with his son instead of dealing with the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

So, the man hasn't had any time off since the company he runs fscked up so badly, and he takes one day to spend time with his family.

I'm far from impressed with the way BP have handled this wretched mess, and even less impressed with the dodgy practices that killed a number of people and got them into the mess, but what do the powers that be want him to do? Go underwater and fsck fish? He's only management, for fscks sake: the real work can carry on in his absence
            What!? So he's paid god knows how many millions of pounds \ dollars a year, with shares and bonuses no doubt, puts up a tulipe performance in front of a senate committtee, doesnt know when the oil will stop gushing out of thesea floor and he's supposed to be allowed a day off!?

**** that. He should be working 24/7 until the ******* thing is fixed.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              What!? So he's paid god knows how many millions of pounds \ dollars a year, with shares and bonuses no doubt, puts up a tulipe performance in front of a senate committtee, doesnt know when the oil will stop gushing out of thesea floor and he's supposed to be allowed a day off!?

**** that. He should be working 24/7 until the ******* thing is fixed.
              Not really practical, the record is only 11 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_G...(record_holder)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_G...(record_holder)
                That article hasn't been written. Are you sure you didn't mean one of these guys?

Randy Bumgardner - Directory | LinkedIn
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Randy Gardner (record holder) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  ??

Randy Gardner (record holder)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
                  Randy Gardner holds the scientifically documented record for the longest period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. In 1964—as a 17-year-old high school student in San Diego, California—Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (eleven days), breaking the previous record of 260 hours held by Tom Rounds of Honolulu.[1]
                  Gardner's record attempt was attended by Stanford sleep researcher Dr. William C. Dement. Gardner's health was monitored by Lt. Cmdr. John J. Ross. Accounts of Gardner's sleep-deprivation experience and medical response became widely known among the sleep research community.[2][3][4][5]
                  Contents

[hide][edit] Health effects

It is often claimed that Gardner's experiment demonstrated that extreme sleep deprivation has little effect, other than the mood changes associated with tiredness (mood swings, short temper, loss of concentration).[6] This is primarily due to a report by researcher William Dement, who stated that on the tenth day of the experiment, Gardner had been, among other things, able to beat Dement at pinball.
                  However, Lt. Cmdr. John J. Ross, who monitored his health, reported serious cognitive and behavioral changes. These included moodiness, problems with concentration and short term memory, paranoia, and hallucinations. On the fourth day he had a delusion that he was Paul Lowe winning the Rose Bowl, and that a street sign was a person. On the eleventh day, when he was asked to subtract seven repeatedly, starting with 100, he stopped at 65. When asked why he had stopped, he replied that he had forgotten what he was doing.[1]
                  On his final day, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. "I wanted to prove that bad things didn't happen if you went without sleep," said Gardner. "I thought, 'I can break that (Peter Tripp's 1959) record and I don't think it would be a negative experience.'"[6][7]
                  [edit] Recovery

Gardner's sleep recovery was instrumented by sleep researchers who noted changes in sleep structure during postdeprivation recovery.[8][9] After completing his record, Gardner slept 14 hours and 40 minutes, awoke naturally around 10:00 p.m., stayed awake 24 hours, then slept a normal eight hours.[10]
                  [edit] Subsequent record information

According to news reports, Gardner's record has been broken a number of times. Some of these cases are described below for comparison. Gardner's case still stands out, however, because it is so extensively documented. It is difficult to determine the accuracy of a sleep deprivation period unless the participant is carefully observed to detect short microsleeps, which the participant might not even notice. Also, records for voluntary sleep deprivation are no longer kept by Guinness World Records for fear that participants will suffer ill effects.[11]
                  Some sources report that Gardner's record was broken two weeks later by another student, Jim Thomas of California State University Fresno, who stayed awake for 266.5 hours; and state that the Guinness World Records record is 449 hours (18 days, 17 hours) by Maureen Weston, of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in April, 1977, in a rocking-chair marathon.[12] Presumably because of their policy against maintaining this record, recent editions of Guinness do not provide confirmation of this.[13]
                  More recently, Tony Wright on May 25, 2007 was reported to have exceeded Randy Gardner's feat[11] in the apparent belief that Gardner's record had not been beaten. He used 24-hour video for documentation.[11]
                  According to the Australian National Sleep Research Project,[14] the record for sleep deprivation is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes. However, few details are available for this claim.

Comment

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder[/URL])
                    Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    That article hasn't been written.
                    ??
                    Your original link ends just before the closing bracket, thus giving the "No such article" page on Wikipedia.

Comment

??
                      Original link missing a ) perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                      X