• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who talk to themselves in work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Popcorn is one of my most fave things in the world. Its what microwaves were invented for
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'm always disappointed when I make microwave popcorn.

I think mainly cos I leave it too long to try to get maximum poppage, and end up burning it.
    Try doing it on the stove, you can make small batches at a time and get it all popped. It's dead easy and a lot cheaper than the prepackaged microwave stuff.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You can have some popcorn, just don't give out about the beer...

Oi Mary, get on with the bloody story!
    WHS.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm always disappointed when I make microwave popcorn.

I think mainly cos I leave it too long to try to get maximum poppage, and end up burning it.
      Yes, there is a fine line. I usually end up the otherway with lots of unpopped kernals. So, then I have to make another bag - shame
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Try doing it on the stove, you can make small batches at a time and get it all popped. It's dead easy and a lot cheaper than the prepackaged microwave stuff.
        Yeah but how do you do it on the stove - last time I had it like that, my Dad did it (in the wok) and burned a hole in the Wok
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Yeah but how do you do it on the stove - last time I had it like that, my Dad did it (in the wok) and burned a hole in the Wok
          Solved that for you.

I'll make some popcorn at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            I talk to my computer when something doesn't work. Sorry.
            So do I. The language is worse than my Tw@ts.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I once did a psychometric test for types of jobs. On top of the list of roles not suited, were

1) Social Worker
              2) Computer Programmer.

Obviously a flawed test.
              Are you sure it wasn't a test for bipolar disorder that you did?
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

^ Am laughing

Oh right, ok sorry, didn't realise I was to tell the story, it's nothing as exciting as uber hairy undertakers, or guitar men.

A PM here, always been a bit of a flirt, no worries with that I guess.

He starts ratching it up a notch or two, you know the way - private jokes, little chats at my desk, emailed compliments about my attire, that kind of thing. I keep it jokey, thank goodness, because as ever, my priority is not to make a fool of myself / give anything away.

He attempts to create a common ground between us by bemoaning his single status, which doesn't really work with me in any case, given that I'm usually more concerned with the baby snot on my top etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I go to lunch with a good friend who works here (in another building), who comments that she saw me going to a meeting with said PM, and tells me she works with his wife.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

^ Am laughing

Oh right, ok sorry, didn't realise I was to tell the story, it's nothing as exciting as uber hairy undertakers, or guitar men.

A PM here, always been a bit of a flirt, no worries with that I guess.

He starts ratching it up a notch or two, you know the way - private jokes, little chats at my desk, emailed compliments about my attire, that kind of thing. I keep it jokey, thank goodness, because as ever, my priority is not to make a fool of myself / give anything away.

He attempts to create a common ground between us by bemoaning his single status, which doesn't really work with me in any case, given that I'm usually more concerned with the baby snot on my top etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I go to lunch with a good friend who works here (in another building), who comments that she saw me going to a meeting with said PM, and tells me she works with his wife.
                  Ah, thought you meant on here
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Easy Peesy.

Corn oil

Corn Kernals

Heavy saucepan.

Pour enough oil into the base of the saucepan to cover a corn kernal.

Heat the oil till it just starts to smoke, take off the heat and add enough corn kernals to cover the base of the pan 1 or two grains deep. This is important, dont add too much or you end up with a lot of unpopped kernals.

Put on the lid and shake the pan so that the corn becomes coated in the oil. Put the pan back on the stove on a medium heat and wait. After a couple of minutes the corn should be popping away merrily.

Do not take the lid off while it's still popping!

Once the popping subsides, carefully shake and leave for a few more seconds. Once the popping quietens down again take it off the the heat and quickly empty the popcorn into a bowl. You don't want burnt popcorn.

Very little of the oil will end up in the popcorn, its purpose is just to heat it. Most the oil will remain in the bottom of the pan with the unpopped corn.

Top with salt, sugar, anything else you want. Olive Oil and lots of Parmesan is suprisingly nice.

To make toffee popcorn you just need to make the toffee sauce. Also dead easy.

Toffee sauce.

Put 50g of butter in a pan.

Add 4 heaped tablespoons of soft brown sugar. Don't use white sugar, it really doesnt work as well.

Add 2-3 tablespoons of golden syrup.

Stir together on a medium heat until the butter has melted, and all the sugar has dissolved.

Now you have made the popcorn and the toffee sauce, you need to put them together. This must be done while the sauce is still hot and liquid.

Put the popcorn into a large mixing bowl.

Drizzle some of the toffee sauce over the top.

Stir untill the sauce is mixed into the popcorn and starts to cool. This is important. If you dont stir it well enough all the sauce ends up in a pool at the bottom of the bowl.

Add some more sauce and repeat untill it's all been added and the popcorn is all nicely coated.

Leave until is cool enough to eat. This is probably going to be the hardest bit for you
                    Last edited by DaveB; 8 April 2010, 10:35.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      Ah, thought you meant on here
                      Nooooo!
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X