• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie announcements that ring alarm bells

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    At least I've got job security, unlike contractors
    I like to hear that one.

The one that really scared me was:

This is the team. They're all contractors too! Who selected them? Well, I did - no I don't have any technical knowledge, I relied on the agency. By the way - most of the functional guys are off from Wednesday for a team building workshop, so you'll need to get their requirement by tomorrow...

Thankfully, I'd read "Deathmarch" by Yourdon.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"We haven't got a desk for you yet, or a computer. Why don't you sit with [Dave|Steve|Mike] and he'll tell you what we're doing."

Cue three days irritating the most junior member of the team by watching them work and tutting occasionally

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        "We haven't got a desk for you yet, or a computer. Why don't you sit with [Dave|Steve|Mike] and he'll tell you what we're doing."

Cue three days irritating the most junior member of the team by watching them work and tutting occasionally
        weeks
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          weeks

months

Comment

"The fire alarms will be tested at 9:30. Thank you."

Comment

"based upon feedback from the results of last years survey we've decided to implement weekly departmental meetings 9am every friday. the meetings will be a round-robin review of activities and will last between 1 and 2 hours. everyone has to attend and contribute."

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                "based upon feedback from the results of last years survey we've decided to implement weekly departmental meetings 9am every friday. the meetings will be a round-robin review of activities and will last between 1 and 2 hours. everyone has to attend and contribute."
                4pm

Comment

Please choose one of these times to attend the team-building morning or afternoon. All are required to attend, both employees and contractors. For contractors, the time is not billable.

Comment

First day at one gig I got told they would send a junior member of staff to the coffee machine (only a few feet from my desk) as it was cheaper than me doing it.

Comment

"We're desperate for you, when can you start?" Followed by a) 6 weeks with no computer and b) Having nothing to do for 5 months. Both happened in 2007 and 2008.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X