• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie announcements that ring alarm bells

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At an interview a couple of weeks ago...

"We're going through a bit of rebirth period, you know those natural shedding cycles that businesses go through"

Half their staff had gone

Comment

"We expect you to report on how you use your time... just for tracking purposes"

Comment

"Welcome, the last 6 contractors all took nervous breakdowns or heart attacks due to the impossible time scales and crazy work load. Lets see how you cope..."

"Project Manager? Spec? hahahahaha... Good One mate"

Comment

There is one sentence, above all others, that makes the blood run cold and the heart quicken with panic: We are going to do Team Building exercises. Aaaaaagggghhh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            The guy who's in charge of the department, notice I called him 'The boss' and not 'My boss' ...what should I call him then??

And no… I’m a disguised employee according to the government.
            Personally I would just call him "The client". The way you wrote it kind of implied to me you acknowledged a chain of command or acted upon instruction by referring to him as "The boss". I often call my other half "The wife.." when in conversation with others.. it doesn't mean she isn't my wife.

If you said to the Government what you just said to us all here, they would probably have good reason to see you as a disguised employee.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              "I used to be a contractor. I drive a ford focus. I used to have dodgy neighbours"
              Is that wee on my shoes?

Comment

We had to get rid of the last contractor as he wasnt a big hitter.

Change Control ?? - is that a new TV program ?

Comment

"I expect you at your desk for 9am every morning" -

"We are all very impressed with your management of the project. After your performance review we'll discuss taking you on permanently...."
                  Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

What do you get paid, then?

Comment

At least I've got job security, unlike contractors
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X