• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow Crash got me into Mr Stephenson. All of his works are a good read, even the 'Historical SciFi' with the likes of Newton etc realised are a good read.

I found the 'Human body' a great read and very informative. I thought that he made some quite difficult subject matter very approachable.

I recently found Neal Asher, and I'm making my way through his works. Not the hardest SciFi but a galloping good read as they say.

Comment

a bunch of Pratchetts. Picked up the almost complete collection at a book faire on Saturday, and actual books feel so much nicer than ebooks

Comment

I've actually started reading a book or two recently.

Destroyed by Jane Sterne is good, about a young girl who is abused by a distant relative but is too frightened and ashamed to tell anyone, and her messed up brother who commits a murder. Based on true stories, the shooting was in the news.

Then Rodinsky's Room. Obsession about finding facts about some reclusive nobody who disappears, gave up after about 40 pages.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

(re) Reading Eon by Greg Bear at the moment. An author I've barely read even though that style of hard sci-fi is something I love... I grew up as a teen reading virtually the entire of Asimov and Clarke which my dad had in paperback.
          Maybe it's time to get more of his works.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I consumed quantities of David Brin's epics, but I seemed to stop with "Earth" which resides, unread, on the bookshelf.

Dunno what I'll read next, there's so much choice.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Greg Bear was lumped in with the likes of William Gibson under the 'cyberpunk' genre. Both went on to diverge into variations on a theme of this.

For a more UK take try Geoff Noon. Vurt is a good intro to his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                Greg Bear was lumped in with the likes of William Gibson under the 'cyberpunk' genre. Both went on to diverge into variations on a theme of this.

For a more UK take try Geoff Noon. Vurt is a good intro to his stuff.
                I've only read a couple of Greg's books but neither fits that category even slightly. Pretty heavy, serious sci-fi. You weren't thinking of Neal (Snow Crash) mentioned just above I suppose?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The only book by Greg Bear that I've read is "Foundation & Chaos" being the 2nd part of the 2nd Foundation Trilogy.

IIRC, I rather enjoyed it.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 September 2021, 07:23.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony by Roberto Calasso. The best book I've ever read on the Greek myths (and I've read loads). Would have changed some of the essays I wrote for OU.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinlein. Read it yonks ago, but can't even really remember what it is about. No spoilers please!
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X