• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to starting Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I think I bought the book a good couple of years ago.

Comment

Just finished reading The Wasp Factory - had read as a teen but forgotten how weirdly brilliant it is.
      About half-way through Forrest Gump which is not bad, but not a patch on the film IMO. I have the sequel too.
      Took a short pause to re-read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods for the dozenth time. Like a comforter when feeling a bit under the weather!
      Recently re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series for the 3rd (I think) time.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not the most cheerful of books but recently found out by coincidence one of my friends wrote a book about the Hearld of Free Enterprise capsizing called Ninety Seconds at Zeebrugge. One of my first pieces of work as an electrical design apprentice was to add interlock protection of the Hearlds sister ships and a number of other ferries so they can't set sail with bow doors open. Serious omission at the time obviously. Having a hand in that project and my friend being the author I thought I'd have a read. Not expecting a light cheery read here. Interesting to see if being involved makes a difference to a book like this.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Finally got around to starting Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I think I bought the book a good couple of years ago.
          I keep buying 99p Kindle deals by big-name authors and not reading them. I must have a couple dozen (including some by NG) lurking around.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I keep buying 99p Kindle deals by big-name authors and not reading them. I must have a couple dozen (including some by NG) lurking around.
            I bought a few way back when I first got it but then someone torrented 1500 odd books so I've completely lost track of anything. Too much isn't always a good thing. (Said LM never)

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              just finished 'rabbits' by Terry Miles
              now 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****' by mark manson, but i think i could have written this one
              I enjoyed Rabbits rather more than I thought I would.

Madame Burova: the new novel from the author of The Keeper of Lost Things Ruth Hogan is a lot more fun than I expected it to be if we are talking about 99p reads
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I bought a few way back when I first got it but then someone torrented 1500 odd books so I've completely lost track of anything. Too much isn't always a good thing. (Said LM never)
                I picked up a torrent of thousands of kindle books years ago too. Some of them were actually worth reading!

Comment

Just read "The Riddle of the Poisoned Monk" by Sarah Matthias.

Think it was a book for teenagers, but the plot was quite clever and the dialog was laugh out loud funny in places, especially the grumpy cook Sturgeon. So no point in being elitist and I enjoyed it
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I picked up a torrent of thousands of kindle books years ago too. Some of them were actually worth reading!
                    I got a sci-fi bundle and it was stuffed full of books I wanted to read. Full Arthur C Clarke, David Gemmell, Anne McCaffrey you name it. All the brain out D&D/Sci-fi stuff that are hardly literary masterpieces but all the classics that I like. Just never got started. Getting so many ended up being counter productive in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Next: "Britain on Borrowed Time" Glyn Jones and Michael Barnes, 1967.
                      Things have changed over the intervening years, the inefficient industry that we had back in the day has been cured: Maggie shut it all down.

None of their bright ideas for the white heat of the technological revolution came about, the Oxbridge PPE and Classics bods are still doing their incompetent worst, so it's no fecking wonder the country is in the state it is.

Next: "Nathaniel's Nutmeg: how one man's courage changed the course of history" by Giles Milton.

Gosh, it's practically new, I've only owned it since June 21st 2014.

Let's hope it's a bit more positive than the previous epic.

And so it proved to be, a good deal more inneresting.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 August 2021, 14:20.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X