• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Finished "Engineers of Victory" some weeks ago.

Just finished "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor, another tombstone of a book at 780 pages with another 100 or so references & bibliography.

Just started "Willing Slaves" by Madeleine Bunting, a 2004 book I bought in 2012 for 99p according to the receipt.

Just started "Lorenz" by Captain Jerry Roberts, being his story of how the Lorenz or Tunny encryption was broken in BP during the last global unpleasantness, written in 2012 shortly before his death in 2014 at the age of 93.

Unlike many of the BP books, quite an easy read.
    Beevor on YouTube. The Battle for Normandy. I don't usually like audio books.

Currently reading "The Rules of Restraint" by Prof. David Wilson
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Just finished 'The Body' by Bill Bryson, now I'm a hypochondriac...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Finished "Lorenz" by Captain Jerry Robert MBE.

He spent a lot of his later years attempting to get some acknowledgement of the efforts of Tutte, Turing and Flowers.

Next up: "The secret life of Uri Geller CIA masterspy?" by Jonathon Margolis.

I feel spoons bending even as I read it.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 July 2022, 10:23.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

rereading 'use of weapons' by Ian M Banks.
          not into dry historical textbooks really.

Comment

The Good Doctor examines the piles of tomes: not a novel in there anywhere.

Not sure I can remember the last novel I read.

It might have been an anthology of stories by Vernor Vinge and I'm not sure I read all of that.

There was a cracking story in there about a chap who had a stasis machine & lived a punctuated life selling artifacts from one civilisation to the next one along.

He got irritated by a civilisation that tried to put a stop to that so he overthrew it with tech from the previous one.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 24 October 2020, 11:56.

Comment

fairy nuff

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                rereading 'use of weapons' by Ian M Banks.
                not into dry historical textbooks really.
                I can feel a re-read of Ian M Banks coming up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Starting at the beginning?
                  Keep you going for a while.
                  I'm taking a two book break between each one.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    The Good Doctor examines the piles of tomes: not a novel in there anywhere.

Not sure I can remember the last novel I read.

It might have been an anthology of stories by Vernor Vinge and I'm not sure I read all of that.

There was a cracking story in there about a chap who had a stasis machine & lived a punctuated life selling artifacts from one civilisation to the next one along.

He got irritated by a civilisation that tried to put a stop to that so he overthrew it with tech from the previous one.
                    And once again it's taken me ages to figure out that the novel whose title I can never remember is "The Year of the Quiet Sun" by Wilson Tucker.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Iain M. Banks
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X