• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this really the most recent Currently Reading thread?

Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin - seriously hard science fiction, set in China.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

“Stories of the Law and How It's Broken”

By The Secret Barrister....
      Not quite a legal text book, but it’s made of text (and paper), and about the law....
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. For the second time. Possibly the finest non-fiction book of recent times.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          For books that I really like though I always want my own copy, either for re-reading, referring back to etc. A wood-pannelled library with wall to wall books, leather loungers, a snooker table and some good quality port are what is required...one day.
          You're missing the Swedish au pair, otherwise perfecto.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            “Stories of the Law and How It's Broken”

By The Secret Barrister....
            Not quite a legal text book, but it’s made of text (and paper), and about the law....
            That was a really good book.

I have the flu so have been reading post apocalyptic trash:

The Last by Hanna Jameson - set in a Swiss Hotel immediately after nuclear war

Last ones left alive by Sarah Davis-Goff - set in Ireland a generation or so after a zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. For the second time. Possibly the finest non-fiction book of recent times.
              To be followed by "Dark Sun" by Richard Rhodes, being a tale of how the super got made when Teller's ideas didn't work.

"The Mitrokhin Archive", being a tale of KGB naughtiness.

"Hitler's Spy Chief" (i.e. Admiral Canaris).

"A Bright Shining Lie" being a history of the Vietnam War and how the Septics fecked it up.

"The Mighty Micro" being a future history of the present as predicted by a chap in 1978 (also a tv series of the same name which might be found on youtube).

"Silicon Civilisation" being a 1980 book about the early years of semiconductors and the microprocessor, it seems like a very very very long time ago now, being pre IBM PC & XT.

Not forgetting "Lady Death: the memoirs of Stalin's Sniper". Like it says. She was at the siege of Stalingrad.

Oh, how this thread brings back memories of a different, happier time, when the forum was infested with Daleks and assorted other aliens and no one had heard of the B word.

Long long ago, and far far away, they did things differently then.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2019, 07:50.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

CJ Sansom - Shardlake series

Comment

I'm currently plowing my way through REAMDE <again> to refresh my memory before i tackle FALL.
                  I do like Neal Stephenson's books.

Comment

BYTE : Programmer's Cookbook - DOS

Rescued from a lab clearout. Mode X.... Mmmmmmmm
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Currently redoing the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan on book 5 of 13
                      Growing old is mandatory
                      Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                      X