• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Soemtimes I visit a bookshop and if I like the book will note the author and ISBN - take that to my local library and order it there for gratis - been doing this for quite some time.
    For books that I really like though I always want my own copy, either for re-reading, referring back to etc. A wood-pannelled library with wall to wall books, leather loungers, a snooker table and some good quality port are what is required...one day.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
      In the office:

Fundamentals of Neurophysiology - R F Schmidt
      The Fifth Discipline - Peter M Senge
      The Making of Memory - Steven Rose
      The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

Bedside:

Beyond Fear - Bruce Schneier
      Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
      The Universal Form - Lawrence Tan
      Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Now thats a good read.

Mind you - the Tao that can be described - is not the true Tao.

So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        For books that I really like though I always want my own copy, either for re-reading, referring back to etc. A wood-pannelled library with wall to wall books, leather loungers, a snooker table and some good quality port are what is required...one day.

Well the big fashion trend now is Nationalisation - so the collective spirit means we should reject such bourgeoise concepts as private bookstores and spend our time in the public reading libraries instead.

Comment

Well the big fashion trend now is Nationalisation - so the collective spirit means we should reject such bourgeoise concepts as private bookstores and spend our time in the public reading libraries instead.
          I have been assured that I am seldom 'fashionable'

Comment

The credit crunch (read: my being a tight wod) has induced my first visit to a public library since leaving school; I feel guilty spending £15 on a book I shall read only once when the local library has one available!!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              I have been assured that I am seldom 'fashionable'
              There is only one thing worse that not being fashionable - and that is - being fashionable.

He's a dedicated follower of Fashion

Comment

Ronnie - by Ronnie Wood

and

As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
                by Richard Hammond

bit of Top Gear theme going on

next on the list Parkinson autobiography
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  Ronnie - by Ronnie Wood

and

As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
                  by Richard Hammond

bit of Top Gear theme going on

next on the list Parkinson autobiography
                  Parkinson? He's crap. Stopped being owt good in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    The credit crunch (read: my being a tight wod) has induced my first visit to a public library since leaving school; I feel guilty spending £15 on a book I shall read only once when the local library has one available!!

Public Libraries are an excellent feature of British life - I often visit after a day on the collective farm, at closing times the cheerful Librarians can be heard singing that inspiring ditty Forward United Kingdom - collective responsibilites we enjoy.

Comment

Public Libraries are an excellent feature of British life - I often visit after a day on the collective farm, at closing times the cheerful Librarians can be heard singing that inspiring ditty Forward United Kingdom - collective responsibilites we enjoy.
                      I love the library. We have our own Rain Man - if people stay on the PC's longer than 30 minutes he can be seen freaking out on them...

...He is the autistic law (of the library).

Comment

Working...
                      X