• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Kier Starmer - Odds on not completing a full term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There’s going to be more whinging as Labour grasps nettles and starts to fix the things that the Tories have been ignoring for years.

My response will be ‘so why didn’t the Tories fix ‘it’ - they had 14 years.’
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Zero. Except in pipe-dreams.
      Inneresting opinion.

What we are about to go through with the current incumbent of number 10 is going to resemble the following famous tale...

A new CEO was hired to take over a struggling company. The CEO who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. “Open these if you run into serious trouble,” he said.

Well, three months later sales and profits were still way down and the new CEO was catching a lot of heat. He began to panic but then he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, “Blame your predecessor.” The new CEO called a press conference and explained that the previous CEO had left him with a real mess and it was taking a bit longer to clean it up than expected, but everything was on the right track. Satisfied with his comments, the press – and Wall Street – responded positively.

Another quarter went by and the company continued to struggle. Having learned from his previous experience, the CEO quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, “Reorganize.” So he fired key people, consolidated divisions and cut costs everywhere he could. This he did and Wall Street, and the press, applauded his efforts.

Three months passed and the company was still short on sales and profits. The CEO would have to figure out how to get through another tough earnings call. The CEO went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope. The message said, “Prepare three envelopes.”
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Inneresting opinion.

What we are about to go through with the current incumbent of number 10 is going to resemble the following famous tale...

Sadly true.

The idea that they will have the balls to grasp the nettles. Who do you think boosted immigration and cut house building?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Who do you think (1) boosted immigration and (2) cut house building?
          (1) Both Labour and Tories (although in the last few years it's gone nuts)
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

(2) Not much in it between Labour and Tories
          https://fullfact.org/economy/house-building-england

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

(1) Both Labour and Tories (although in the last few years it's gone nuts)
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

(2) Not much in it between Labour and Tories
            https://fullfact.org/economy/house-building-england
            Which perhaps shows there are factors outside the government's immediate control that are driving such failings?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Which perhaps shows there are factors outside the government's immediate control that are driving such failings?
              You mean both are as bad as each other? Vote Reform!

At least we are now being told the truth. Immigration is out of control - government , we aren't building enough houses - also gorvernment.

Restrict immigration 95%+ earners, automate lower paid jobs and build 2-3 million net zero houses. Job done.

Comment

You mean both are as bad as each other? Vote Reform!

At least we are now being told the truth. Immigration is out of control - government , we aren't building enough houses - also gorvernment.

Restrict immigration 95%+ earners, automate lower paid jobs and build 2-3 million net zero houses. Job done.
                Job impossible. Like fixing the NHS, it's is doable but only if you fix a dozen underlying problems first. It's too easy for interested parties to block all sorts of government led initiatives these days, often for spurious (or possibly purely political) reasons.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

bring back the birch
                  reinstate the death penalty
                  bring back national service
                  wibble
                  wibble
                  and other english nationalist sh1te.
                  what a moron you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sadfeckwitbilly making it up as usual View Post

I'm sad sfwkb I dreamt about - bring back the birch
                    I'm sad sfwkb I dreamt about - reinstate the death penalty
                    I'm sad sfwkb and friends with Rishi feckwit I dreamt about - bring back national service
                    and other stuff I dream about. If I bothered to read posts I would notice Veteran has discussed these in the past on this board and shown no support for them.
                    what a moron you are. - hmm feckwittery from SFWKB what a surprise!
                    FTFY as usual - try taking the pills

Its not like you are going to make a sensible contribution soon , go back to drawing on the walls in your own excrement you might at least receive a Turner prize.

Comment

House building is probably the easier of the two to influence through Govt policy eg. imposing targets on local authorities, relaxing planning.

Immigration is a very tough nut to crack. It permeates throughout the entire economy/work force. Just as a couple of examples, more than 17% of NHS staff are from overseas, and 24% of university students. Having an aging (non-productive) population just compounds the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X