• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

July 4th General Election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Personally I much prefer that to the awful overlords we've had for most of the last 14 years
    How do you know? The grass isn't always greener.

Given Labour's track record, are you ready for another war (legal or illegal)?

With the mass resignation of Brexiteers, one way the Tories could retain power is to offer to takes us back into the EU...

If nothing else, the voter turnout would be massive!
    Last edited by Zigenare; 27 May 2024, 06:39.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

With the mass resignation of Brexiteers, one way the Tories could retain power is to offer to takes us back into the EU...

The Tories supported the Iraq war. Only two Tory MPs voted against the parliamentary bill compared to 84 Labour MPs. 69 Labour MPs abstained too.

Whether it was the right or wrong thing to do will never be settled but under Blair, Labour did a lot of good things like increasing spending in education and the NHS after keeping things tight in the first few years. They also introduced Sure Start, the minimum wage etc.

Even things they get beaten up about like Brown selling off most of the UK's gold reserves seems minor compared to the waste and corruption of the last decade.

Comment

I live in a home counties seat surrounded by very strong Tory supporting areas. It had a Tory majority of almost 22000 not too long ago but various forecasts are predicting Labour have a very good chance of winning it which would be staggering.

The Tories used to hold all 50 seats on the District Council. Now it is a Green led council in coalition with the Lib Dems.

That is how much the Tories are disliked today.

Comment

Unlikely there will be any movement on returning to the EU, not without very punative terms. It's already been made clear that they're not interested in renegotiation and they've got more important things to deal with than the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            ... they've got more important things to deal with than the UK.
            Not sure if this was a mistype but it probably ain't far from the truth.

On the other hand, I've got no time either for Labour and Starmer's 99% of women don't have penises but it's probably time for a change.

I'm too old and cynical to believe that things can only get better.

Where is that poster with his oft retort WGAS when we need him?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

The Tories supported the Iraq war. Only two Tory MPs voted against the parliamentary bill compared to 84 Labour MPs. 69 Labour MPs abstained too.

Whether it was the right or wrong thing to do will never be settled but under Blair, Labour did a lot of good things like increasing spending in education and the NHS after keeping things tight in the first few years. They also introduced Sure Start, the minimum wage etc.

Even things they get beaten up about like Brown selling off most of the UK's gold reserves seems minor compared to the waste and corruption of the last decade.
              Such was the efficacy of "The Dodgy Dossier"...
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Such was the efficacy of "The Dodgy Dossier"...
                Maybe, but being selfish with a UK hat on, we have little to no control over what our governments do abroad. From a domestic perspective, Labour did a lot of good things before the mid-2000s.

The current government has had several challenging black swan type events like the financial crisis and Covid but overall, I find it hard to see that things are better now for most people compared to 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Where is that poster with his oft retort WGAS when we need him?

and it's WGAFF now

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Maybe, but being selfish with a UK hat on, we have little to no control over what our governments do abroad. From a domestic perspective, Labour did a lot of good things before the mid-2000s.

The current government has had several challenging black swan type events like the financial crisis and Covid but overall, I find it hard to see that things are better now for most people compared to 20 years ago.
                    I don't think it's just politicians that have gone down the pan, I think society as a whole is so far down the tulipter it's on its way to the sewerage works!

Comment

I don't think it's just politicians that have gone down the pan, I think society as a whole is so far down the tulipter it's on its way to the sewerage works!
                      Seems that way.

Although it could be that we just see it like this because we're grumpy old gits.

Comment

Working...
                      X