• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now Greggs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Greggs

Who does these updates?

Mcdonalds Friday, Sainsbury's and Tesco on the weekend..

And why do them on one of your busiest business days?

https://news.sky.com/story/greggs-ou...tills-13098440

Greggs IT glitch: Stores to take payments again soon after card and cash systems crash The bakery chain said a "majority of shops affected are now able to take card and cash payments again and we expect the issue to be fully resolved shortly".
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

And why all at once?

A series of pilots on Sunday night or similar until the bugs are bashed out.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      And why all at once?

A series of pilots on Sunday night or similar until the bugs are bashed out.
      It's an emergency update to cope with changing the face of the monarch on the currency.

If the conspiracy theories are correct* then both Charles and Kate have been dedded so new coins and notes are needed.

* and we all "know" that they are
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        If the conspiracy theories are correct* then both Charles and Kate have been dedded so new coins and notes are needed.
        What about the body doubles? Or are there imperfections that need to be covered up..?

Comment

A fiver says its a dodgy Microsoft update, somewhere.
          It has happened before, mind its a very long time since I have seen it. Before 2005 I believe.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            A fiver says its a dodgy Microsoft update, somewhere.
            It has happened before, mind its a very long time since I have seen it. Before 2005 I believe.
            Does XP get updates? POS were frequently XP.

Comment

I saw a comment from a CTO acquaintance that these issues might be related to an older version of the PCI DSS payments standard being retired on 31st March. Apparently it's the first major change since 2018.

Sounds plausible and more likely than some of the theories circulating about solar flares, undersea internet cables being cut, rogue AI etc.

Comment

Does no one have dev or pre prod systems to apply these updates in case of things like this affecting production?

I worked at Moneysupermarket and they had around 8 environments before you got anywhere near the live site.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Does no one have dev or pre prod systems to apply these updates in case of things like this affecting production?

I worked at Moneysupermarket and they had around 8 environments before you got anywhere near the live site.

qh
                  When I interview or start working with customers I am horrified at the lack of decent test environments. The test environments themselves being full of raw data that requires SC and above.

Bleeding terrifying!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

"We don't need to test our code with QA as it just works with our tests"
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X