• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New London train line names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Riding the Tokyo metro is easy. You don't need to know station names or read kanji. Each line is a different colour and denoted by a Roman letter and each station is denoted by an Arabic number.

If I got on the Asakusa line at Sengakuji, that's A07. If the next station was A08, I was heading in the right direction. Alternatively I'd get the Mita Line in to Otemachi (I02/03 to I09)

The more difficult bit in Osaka is when at stations like Umeda where there's an underground shopping centre and it's very easy to lose your bearings, but that's not about the trains themselves, as I'd frequently use the underground routes to walk between different places. Eventually you worked out certain things (such as the best exit for BIC Camera)
    We got the hang of the Tokyo map whilst there but I remember on our first night at the hotel a receptionist showed us the map and I just thought it looked complicated.

The stations can be overwhelming though. Trying to navigate through Shinjuku Station with its 200 exits and 50 platforms was interesting. A local person had to help us find our platform one time.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

We got the hang of the Tokyo map whilst there but I remember on our first night at the hotel a receptionist showed us the map and I just thought it looked complicated.

The stations can be overwhelming though. Trying to navigate through Shinjuku Station with its 200 exits and 50 platforms was interesting. A local person had to help us find our platform one time.
      When I was going down to Osaka, it used to be Narita Express to Shinagawa and then Tokaido Shinkansen. Got off a couple of times at Tokyo before realising it was much easier to go one stop further.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I know people who have looked at the London tube map and said the same.

They have them used the tube and found it piss easy. Some have even raved about how wonderful it is.

​​​​Those people have not experienced stations that are on different lines but walking distance from one another.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sickipedia delivers

Click image for larger version

Name:	70374-8de691e2-b3e8-4d54-9425-d76784a1b8f6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	4284813
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thread reopened. I misinterpreted the intent. vetran is entirely exonerated.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What about On Strike Again line?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                What about On Strike Again line?
                nice, maybe add "EDL given a good thrashing" line?
                Or "Moped Marauders"
                or "BakerPoo river"
                any others

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Thread reopened. I misinterpreted the intent. vetran is entirely exonerated.
                  Perhaps vetran can enlighten those of us who are still misinterpreting the intent?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Perhaps vetran can enlighten those of us who are still misinterpreting the intent?
                    what are your little grey cells thinking? it may say more about you.

My point was they spaffed £6 million on this using woke names with the "UK's unique history highlighted".
                    First £6M would pay for a lot of youth clubs etc to keep kids out of crime.
                    etc.

Where are the Magna Carta, Trafalgar, Agincourt, Gold / Juno beach etc lines? These are arguably more historically important moments that left us free and speaking English.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

what are your little grey cells thinking? it may say more about you.

My point was they spaffed £6 million on this using woke names with the "UK's unique history highlighted".
                      First £6M would pay for a lot of youth clubs etc to keep kids out of crime.
                      etc.

Where are the Magna Carta, Trafalgar, Agincourt, Gold / Juno beach etc lines? These are arguably more historically important moments that left us free and speaking English.
                      In your view.

Also there are issues with the names you have come up with as they would confuse tourists e.g. Magna Carta was sealed in Runnymede which is in Surrey, Trafalgar has a square named after it, no place except buildings in London are called Agincourt.

Yes it was a waste of money but it is nice that the lines haven't been named after royals or some ancient battle/general but more modern London history.

Edited to say: I'm sure I watch the same history channels you do on social media.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X