• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Corrupt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Corrupt

We are more corrupt than Uruguay and Hong Kong!

Thanks Michelle and Boris!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-international

The UK fell from 18th (out of 181 countries) in 2022 to 20th in 2023, its lowest position since the research was revamped in 2012. It means that, according to the research, Britain is seen as more corrupt than Uruguay and Hong Kong.
    The lower ranking coincides with concerns about possible corruption in the awarding of PPE contracts during the pandemic, according to the research published on Tuesday and based on “impartial surveys from experts and business leaders”. The UK was ranked at between the eighth and 11th most transparent country in the world between 2012 and 2021. However, it fell to 18th in 2022, and then joint-20th in 2023.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Probably best not to blame the politicians directly. Most of the procurement scandals were via pre-existing routes where the civil service could bypass the rules for "suppliers" already known to HMG in the interest of urgent demand, and civil servants and associated quangos with no commercial experience believing what they re being told by suppliers rather than establishing their own criteria for supply and quality.

Baroness Mone and her like, however, appear to be fair game...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Probably best not to blame the politicians directly. ..

Baroness Mone and her like, however, appear to be fair game...
      Don't blame the politicians, and then you blame a politician who got fast-tracked by another politician (nothing to do with the civil service or other bodies)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Don't blame the politicians, and then you blame a politician who got fast-tracked by another politician (nothing to do with the civil service or other bodies)
        ???

As far as I recall, the Lords don't establish policy.

As far as I recall, Parliament does not deal directly with the commercial world, but instructs the Civil Service what needs to be done and then leaves it to them to do it.

So I fail to see your point.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Its an opinion.

Denmark top, Estonia close to top.

https://www.oecd.org/denmark/denmark...on-bribery.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-investigation
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

???

As far as I recall, the Lords don't establish policy.

As far as I recall, Parliament does not deal directly with the commercial world, but instructs the Civil Service what needs to be done and then leaves it to them to do it.

So I fail to see your point.
            Nice side step.

You talked about politicians.
            Baroness Mone was given her life peerage by David Cameron. She was a Conservative peer ( https://members.parliament.uk/member/4544/career )
            Her husband gave a lot of money to the Conservative party (but very little to HMRC, and none to the civil service)
            She emailed Matt Hancock (not in the civil service, apart from that one woman he was in and out of in the cupboard)

As far as I recall, you talked about politicians, but want to blame the civil service for every corrupt action of the shameless right wing government that is lining its pockets while laughing at British people.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Nice side step.

You talked about politicians.
              Baroness Mone was given her life peerage by David Cameron. She was a Conservative peer ( https://members.parliament.uk/member/4544/career )
              Her husband gave a lot of money to the Conservative party (but very little to HMRC, and none to the civil service)
              She emailed Matt Hancock (not in the civil service, apart from that one woman he was in and out of in the cupboard)

As far as I recall, you talked about politicians, but want to blame the civil service for every corrupt action of the shameless right wing government that is lining its pockets while laughing at British people.
              Be careful, your Guardianista prejudices are showing.

The supply contracts you are on about were let by the civil Service. Mone, in this context, is a shareholder of one of the more suspect supplying companies. Her politics, let alone that of any properly elected politicians, are not part of the equation beyond asking for urgent supplies to be be procured.

And this government is no more or less corrupt than any in the last 50 years or so. If you think this is corrupt and inept, I suggest you take a closer look at both Wilson's and Blair's terms for a starter and stop using lazy tropes in place of reasoned argument.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Parties which have been in power a long time may be a factor. The latter years of Thatcher/Major were pretty sleazy as I recall (cash for questions and all that).

And then there's the SNP...

Comment

Be careful, your Guardianista prejudices are showing.

...stop using lazy tropes in place of reasoned argument.
                  Glad to see that you're not using lazy tropes.

Comment

More corrupt or currupter?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X