• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone here living / working in CH / Zurich?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone here living / working in CH / Zurich?

I'm in loose talks about a perm position there, would be moving a family of 4, it's a fairly niche skillset they need which I can help with, but I have absolutely no idea what salaries are there. Google says IT median is 120kCHF gross per year, but from my very limited research that would definitely not be enough to even survive with two kids and a jobless wife. They were nice enough to give me some time to research and come back to them with a suggested salary, but I'm getting a vibe that to have enough to not live on a tight budget, I'd have to throw a figure at which they will just laugh and tell me to bugger off.

Also, additional question for all the locals there, how do you find the work culture? heard various things, that it's like Germany and / or US, so long, hard hours, tulip work / life balance. True? Bollocks?
    Last edited by dsc; 24 January 2024, 19:24.

Expensive.

Hard to trust these sites with cost of living increases but should still be enough of a yardstick. Does say updated Jan 2024 but no idea what that actually means.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...atchComparison

You would need around 7,582.3£ (8,361.0Fr.) in Zurich to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,100.0£ in London (assuming you rent in both cities).
    Consumer Prices in Zurich are 49.1% higher than in London (without rent)
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in Zurich are 24.3% higher than in London
    Rent Prices in Zurich are 7.1% lower than in London
    Restaurant Prices in Zurich are 33.2% higher than in London
    Groceries Prices in Zurich are 96.7% higher than in London
    Local Purchasing Power in Zurich is 58.1% higher than in London
    Gives you the general idea which I am sure other people will give you shortly. I'm sure NAT can validate how far off the figures are as well which will help.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      I'm in loose talks about a perm position there, would be moving a family of 4, it's a fairly niche skillset they need which I can help with, but I have absolutely no idea what salaries are there. Google says IT median is 120CHF, but from my very limited research that would definitely not be enough to even survive with two kids and a jobless wife. They were nice enough to give me some time to research and come back to them with a suggested salary, but I'm getting a vibe that to have enough to not live on a tight budget, I'd have to throw a figure at which they will just laugh and tell me to bugger off.

Also, additional question for all the locals there, how do you find the work culture? heard various things, that it's like Germany and / or US, so long, hard hours, tulip work / life balance. True? Bollocks?
      I presume it's 120CHF per hour
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I presume it's 120CHF per hour
        Sorry, my bad, corrected, 120k CHF per year gross. Seems like 200k would be the minimum with two kids, although with a sit at home partner you can probably get by on less.

Comment

Lat time I was out there (10 years ago) albeit with a crappy exchange rate it was very expensive. About a tenner for my usual starbucks morning order, which in the uk would have been about a fiver back then as I seem to remember!
          The only thing I can remember being cheaper was my cigarettes!
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            Last time I was out there (10 years ago) albeit with a crappy exchange rate it was very expensive. About a tenner for my usual starbucks morning order, which in the uk would have been about a fiver back then as I seem to remember!
            The only thing I can remember being cheaper was my cigarettes!
            I used to visit Basel regularly around the same time in 2013/14. It was wallet bustingly expensive then - I remember paying £11-13 for the equivalent of a £3 Tesco meal deal.

The pound is now 25% weaker versus the Swiss Franc which would at least be good if you were able to convert your money back to pounds if you come back to the UK at some point.

I know one or two Brits who have lived there long term more recently and the general cost of living is very high so do your research thoroughly before you commit.

My experience was that working with the Swiss is similar to the Germans - quite hierarchical, formal and conservative. I don't recall people working excessively long hours though. The Swiss like their work life balance, especially at the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              You mention hearing that Germany is long, hard hours and a terrible work/life balance. Can you tell me where you heard that from?
              My experience of working with German employees is contrary to your claim.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It would be useful if you tell us your skillset.

I seriously doubt you would get 200kCHF whatever your skills are

Maybe go for 140kChf if you think you are in demand, but consider an important part of the package is pension contribution which are usually way more generous than the UK.

Whatever you earning you will have a massive lifestyle adjustment. Almost no one in Switzerland lives in a house and your kids will have to go to the local school and speak German/ Swiss German.

Depending on their age this could be a problem, in order to go to University your kids will have to go to a Gymnasium School (like a grammar school). If they arrive too late they have no chance of going to that school.

Having said all that I reckon your kids would have a better future in Switzerland than the UK, so it might be worth adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You mention hearing that Germany is long, hard hours and a terrible work/life balance. Can you tell me where you heard that from?
                  My experience of working with German employees is contrary to your claim.
                  Mate who worked in Germany, he said it's a lot of back stabbing and pushing hard for promotions, also the chain of command is very visible with people constantly updating their managers to look like they are doing more work than others. Might've been that particular company though of course and nothing to do with Germans in general.

Comment

Having worked for a German Boss and with a number of German colleagues on German projects there is a more established hierarchy in German Engineering. Plenty of Herr Doctors in play.

Back stabbing seems to be more common over there. Saw it a few times in 2 years. Though to be fair I worked with 2 German engineers who had previously worked for him and they hated his guts. It may just be bad management.

Plenty of people worked extra hours but that was mainly project driven.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X