• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We speak English because

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We speak English because

We hate the French/Germans/Dutch/Italians//[insert nationality here] and wouldn’t dream of speaking their language like losers.
    That was the response after I apologised for only speaking English when in contract for Nestle in the 00’s. Everyone was content with speaking ‘neutral’ English.

That’s why this comment piece from from the Guardian will never catch on.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...uistic-justice

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

That was the response after I apologised for only speaking English when in contract for Nestle in the 00’s. Everyone was content with speaking ‘neutral’ English.

That’s why this comment piece from from the Guardian will never catch on.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...uistic-justice
    Oh I make a joke about it and blame my education because I simply never learnt or understood phonics so can't sound out words which make foreign languages impossible for me to say.

I can understand French / German though which meant when I fly across Europe you had the English fool (I played to the stereotype because everyone loved it), which they could ignore by speaking German / French, occasionally interrupting (in English) to correct a misunderstanding...

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But more importantly!

When did Nes-uls become Nes-lay

I remember that annoying little blond speccy git in my childhood and he sang:

"Nes-uls Milky-Bar"...
      Then sometime 90's? 00's they started with this Nes-lay b0llix!!

What is the world coming to? It all went downhill form then!!! Blah Blah Gammon Gammon Boomer Boomer

Comment

I've always been embarrassed by my lack of ability with languages. I did a smattering of French and German at school, taking German GCSE but that's when learning ended and I don't really feel like I learnt anything practical.

In later life I've made attempts at Spanish and, more recently, Portuguese (European, not Brazilian) with very little success.

I am in awe of people who can communicate in more than one language and am always grateful to those who have learned English.

Comment

So in the UK all kids should be taught Spanish and/or Chinese?

Interestingly all my bi- and tri-lingual speaking family members learnt their other language(s) outside school. They have become fluent due to being placed in environments where people don't automatically speak English when they are around.

I suppose I should put more effort into the languages I understand...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I learned French to a high level at school and retained it. I picked up German over the past twenty years, with only some formal instruction.

I've occasionally had to translated French to German and vice versa. Which is fun.

The name Nestlé comes from the founder - Henri Nestlé. But he was born Heinrich Nestle, in Frankfurt. He changed his name when he moved to French speaking Switzerland.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We speak English because we don't have to speak any other languages. The Empire was ruled in English (including America) but more importantly the the worlds movies are made in Hollywood.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I am in awe of people who can communicate in more than one language and am always grateful to those who have learned English.
                I can communicate in many, many languages.

Well in the sense that in every country I have ever visited I have made an attempt to learn how to say:
                Hello
                Thank you
                Please
                2 beers (please)

And I have found smiling/gurning like an idiot and pointing at things helps too...

Oh and the lingua franca thing where you meet the waiters eye, act out signing something on your hand and nod...
                meaning "Can I have the bill please"

Comment

One of my friends speaks 10 languages fluently. Well, he says 10, but he has admitted to being rubbish at Maths.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

At the risk of getting banned again for posting an ancient videos.

This a hilarious old pop video of Adriano Celentano recreating what non-English speakers hear when they hear english (or atleast 60s era english pop songs)

Comment

Working...
                    X