• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you spend on gifts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you spend on gifts?

The title pretty much sums it up: how much do you spend greasing the wheels on gifts for your customers?

Do any of you receive gifts from your clients?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

I try to double my money on all family customers and friend clients.

Comment

Many customers will be subject to Anti Bribery limits. I had to declare anything more than £10 in one post. Managers who got bottles put them into a staff raffle.

Check this first. Some organisations donate to charity instead.

I used to buy each Director I worked with a bottle of Scotch/their favourite tipple. But that was 20 years ago.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Clients? Nada

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Many customers will be subject to Anti Bribery limits. I had to declare anything more than £10 in one post. Managers who got bottles put them into a staff raffle.

Check this first. Some organisations donate to charity instead.

I used to buy each Director I worked with a bottle of Scotch/their favourite tipple. But that was 20 years ago.
          I've worked in multiple organisations in FS, pharma, FMCG and public sector where they were quite strict on this. At one place, anything of monetary value that wasn't like a calendar or similar, had to go in the staff raffle for charity.

I don't buy the clients gifts but my agencies take me out for very nice lunches.

Comment

Occasionally the odd bottle of scotch for certain favoured people when I was in traditional contracting (1997-2013). I occasionally received the same.
            I moved over to a slightly different form of contracting/freelancing in time for xmas 2013.
            What I received in that sector was phenomenal (2013-2020). Tickets to Wimbledon, Henley, Ascot, the F1, more scotch and some more substantial gifts (widescreen telly one year and an iPad the next) from clients and partners.
            Being a regular attendee of "the season" even prior to 2013, I paid to attend few events after that.
            On my retirement in 2020, one client sent 3 boxes of very expensive goodies to my house! (Value easily in mid to high 4 figures).
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Nothing. Ever.

I recall a supervisor of The Wet End in 3M pouring supplier gifted bottles of wine down the sink much to the distress of the alcoholic working there.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Nothing. Ever.

I recall a supervisor of The Wet End in 3M pouring supplier gifted bottles of wine down the sink much to the distress of the alcoholic working there.
                Did you get over it though?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I hope you all reported these on your P11D forms

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Did you get over it though?
                    Not me, I didn't work in The Wet End, thankfully.

I remember the explosion of the bottle of chromic acid with some angst.

Thank feck for the drench shower.

Didn't save the chap's shirt & jeans though.

And the lab was orange for yonks.

The alcoholic in question was famous for the fountain of vomit he produced whilst collapsed in the foyer of the Dragon Hotel on his stag night.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 December 2023, 13:28.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X