• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXXIV

Would the last person to leave the government please turn out the lights?
    • Electric mountain: the power station that shows the beauty of infrastructure - Deb Chachra on Dinorwig power station and massive infrastructure projects generally: ”Collective infrastructures – water and sewage, transportation, electricity, telecommunications – are good candidates for the most complex systems created by humans. They are planetary in scale, build on their own histories, interact with one another and have effects that extend far into the future.”
    • Mysterious Lumps in Earth’s Mantle May Be Remains of the Crash That Formed the Moon - ”Chunks of a protoplanet called Theia became lodged within Earth after the two worlds smashed together, new computer simulations suggest.” So we could have saved NASA the trouble of going all the way there to get rocks?
    • A Brief History of Tricky Mathematical Tiling - Penrose and more: ”The discovery earlier this year of the “hat” tile marked the culmination of hundreds of years of work into tiles and their symmetries.”
    • The Medical Ordeals of JFK - HT to DoctorStrangelove for this exploration of Kennedy's medical issues, served from Google's cache because The Atlantic has started paywalling their archives: ”Newly uncovered medical records reveal that the scope and intensity of his physical suffering were beyond what we had previously imagined. What Kennedy endured—and what he hid from the public—both complicates and enlarges our understanding of his character.”
    • Dispatches: Life on an Alaskan Crab Boat - ”A greenhorn photo-documents the lives of crabbers on Alaska's remote Saint Paul Island during a winter week on a crab fishing boat in the Bering Sea.” Lots of seasickness ensues
    • The World’s Writing Systems - A handy reference should you keep mixing up your Cypro-Minoan with your Imperial Aramaic. ”This web site presents one reference glyph and basic information for each of the world’s writing systems. It is the first step of the Missing Scripts Project, a long-term initiative that aims to identify writing systems which are not yet encoded in the Unicode standard. As of today, there are still 131 scripts not yet encoded in Unicode. So they can’t be used on the computer — yet.”
    • Greetings, from North America’s Uranium Ghost Towns - ”North America has its own Chernobyl(s). There are gold rush ghost towns, and then there are uranium ghosting towns; settlements which grew out of the ‘uranium fever’ of the first part of the 20th century and testaments to an era when fear of nuclear war led to an unprecedented rush for a previously low-value mineral. But what really became of these mines and the mining towns that catered for them?”
    • Canada in Italy 1943-1945 – History told by Terry Copp - This project documents the contribution of Canadian forces to the campaign in Italy: ”Eighty Years Ago the Allied Armies invaded Italy, the so called ‘soft underbelly’ of Fortress Europe. What followed was twenty months of hard fighting. Canada’s Citizen Army participated in this fighting – and would go on to play a vital role in the liberation of Italy from fascism.”
    • The Analog Computer Museum's Collection - Another one from DoctorStrangelove in response to xoggoth’s call for a return to analogue devices last week: ”The following list contains all of the machines in the analog computer museum. Unfortunately not all machines are described in detail currently due to my lack of time, but this will change in the near future.”
    • Hospitalithings: A quiet observation of objects found in places of accomodation - Since 2017, this site has been documenting things in hotel rooms: ”These hotels stood in stark opposition to the natural world. Their rooms were uniform, with tightly made beds adorned with an excess of pillows and gilded bed runners that served no practical purpose… Since that fateful trip in 2017, my ritual remains unchanged whenever I enter a hotel room. I meticulously photograph the same eleven objects: decoration, door handle, hairdryer, keys, lamp, light switch, personal hygiene toiletries, remote control, shower drain, shower tap and the toilet roll holder.” They don’t appear to have visited the UK yet, so here’s a shower drain from Groningen instead

Happy invoicing!

With all those medical issues and a semifused back, how the feck did JFK screw all those women considering he couldn't even put his left sock on by himself.

Jealous, moi? .

Not forgetting that Carol Vorderman worked at Dinorwig power station many yonks ago. Being an engineer, like.

Originally posted by Uranium Ghost Town thing
    Uranium, the only organically occurring element that can sustain a chain reaction
    Organic Uranium? . Is that more expensive than the non organic kind then?

I have a book about the Uranium Rush: "The Atom Rush" by Harald Steinert.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 November 2023, 16:13.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tried reading the Smithsonian one but gave up. Awful page with so many adds and underlined hyperlinks. Very disappointed with that.
      The random hotel was more interesting that it should have been. Just clicked and clicked scanning the pics. Not sure why but kind of enjoyed it.

Loved the crab one. Watched all the deadliest catch and that type of series end to end. If you ever go to a buffet in any of the hotels in Vegas (not sure if it's just a Vegas thing) they have as much crab as you can eat. Typical American just piles their plate high of them and then eats just a few and walks off and gets another plate full of something else. Kind of makes me think back to the programs about how dangerous and difficult it is to catch yet the hotels have them in all you can eat buffets for people just to walk off and leave. No one seems to give a hoot.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Tried reading the Smithsonian one but gave up. Awful page with so many adds and underlined hyperlinks. Very disappointed with that.
        t.
        I don't see any ads? Hyperlinks are references? Personally I like them as it saves me googling a name/term to learn more. It really annoys me how many news articles don't cite the source. Even the BBC will talk about a study or paper and not put a link to it anywhere, mainly because journalists do **** all beyond reword press releases.

Loved the crab one. Watched all the deadliest catch and that type of series end to end. If you ever go to a buffet in any of the hotels in Vegas (not sure if it's just a Vegas thing) they have as much crab as you can eat. Typical American just piles their plate high of them and then eats just a few and walks off and gets another plate full of something else. Kind of makes me think back to the programs about how dangerous and difficult it is to catch yet the hotels have them in all you can eat buffets for people just to walk off and leave. No one seems to give a hoot.
        Fishing shows give me the ick. A mix of how much ******* life exists in the seas and equally how much humans consume (and waste). Did see a youtube guy do best value for money buffet in Vegas. Think it was $80 and like you described. Mountain high piles of seafood, susi, lobster, crab legs, everything. Vegas is in the middle of the desert, 250+ miles from any ocean yet you can kill yourself on seafood.

Comment

Analog Computers? I've found a use for all the OpAmp ICs in my collection!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

I don't see any ads? Hyperlinks are references? Personally I like them as it saves me googling a name/term to learn more. It really annoys me how many news articles don't cite the source. Even the BBC will talk about a study or paper and not put a link to it anywhere, mainly because journalists do **** all beyond reword press releases.
            You didn't? It forced my adblock off and then before I got even half way down the page I was inundated with them. Like a paragraph between each add. Ridiculous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smith 2.png
Views:	104
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	4278123

Name:	Smith 3.png
Views:	85
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	4278124

Name:	smith 4.png
Views:	86
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	4278125

Fishing shows give me the ick. A mix of how much ******* life exists in the seas and equally how much humans consume (and waste). Did see a youtube guy do best value for money buffet in Vegas. Think it was $80 and like you described. Mountain high piles of seafood, susi, lobster, crab legs, everything. Vegas is in the middle of the desert, 250+ miles from any ocean yet you can kill yourself on seafood.
            Yep, Vegas the ultimate place for unnecessary opulence and excesses. My other half hated the place just because of it. Personally I love the place but even then I find the amount of food wasted in the buffets galling. The queues for them are huge so they get a lot of footfall as well. Couple of thousand people per day, per hotel makes for a lot of hard to get food wasted.

Comment

You didn't? It forced my adblock off and then before I got even half way down the page I was inundated with them. Like a paragraph between each add. Ridiculous.

We should all just be glad it's not the same personalised ads you get on Amazon.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I use uBlock Origin for what it's worth, only one that seems to do a good job at fighting youtube ads too.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

We should all just be glad it's not the same personalised ads you get on Amazon.
                  I doubled checked before I posted

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    With all those medical issues and a semifused back, how the feck did JFK screw all those women considering he couldn't even put his left sock on by himself.
                    He laid back and thought of Texas?

Surprising what you can tackle if you fancy it. Mate of mine ended up in the bikers ward in Guildford hospital, one of his ward mates was seeing one of the nurses despite being in full traction. My mate was trying to sleep over the sound of the frame rattling as they made sweet rattly love!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X