• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does one get into the oil and natural gas industry? (20yrs in Financial Services)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    the closed shop mentality/idiocy.
    One out! All out! What about the workers?

Oh.

Sorry.

Wrong sort of closed shop.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I see so many adverts where the spec is something I can do in my sleep and then there's the killer "must have [industry] experience". I try anyway and am always told, you look great but you've not worked in FS, Insurance, Legal, etc etc so they won't consider you.

I agree that the majority of work needed doesn't require me to know the ins and outs of a given industry but I have yet to get past the agent gatekeepers who claim otherwise.
      In Pharma / O&G site work practices are very specific, same goes for documentation, especially test docs, if you've never dealt with it, you will have a hard time doing it / organising it / planning it and assessing how much time things take. This is why previous experience is needed as I doubt anyone will be happy to explain why a permit to work is required to complete a 15min task when the chap who's responsible is already there on the rig and nothing's been arranged.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

In Pharma / O&G site work practices are very specific, same goes for documentation, especially test docs, if you've never dealt with it, you will have a hard time doing it / organising it / planning it and assessing how much time things take. This is why previous experience is needed as I doubt anyone will be happy to explain why a permit to work is required to complete a 15min task when the chap who's responsible is already there on the rig and nothing's been arranged.
        I don't doubt it for a second and I wouldn't want a safety critical task to be done by someone whose last job was cleaning toilets in Wetherspoons. My perspective is that not EVERY role needs industry experience, and a bit of pragmatism would actually allow people to move around and gain the exposure / experience they need without causing the next Piper Alpha incident.

Comment

Like all closed shop industries (FS, O&G, Insurance, Pharma, Nuclear, Aviation, etc etc) you need experience to get the job. Occasionally you get a company who realise that you don't need to know how the industry works in order to bleed a radiator and they let you in. Once you're in, you then milk it for all you're worth.
          There's one Pharma company near me that insists that, apart from entry level positions, candidates must have worked for them before. Quite bonkers.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My perspective is that not EVERY role needs industry experience, and a bit of pragmatism would actually allow people to move around and gain the exposure / experience they need without causing the next Piper Alpha incident.
            For sure that is true, but as usual it's just easier to keep O&G people within the O&G industry, Pharma people in Pharma etc. most skills are transferable but also remember that there's a hell of a lot of OGs in the industry, people who've been in it for ages and truly believe that you need industry exp as it's such a hard thing to learn...Then on the other hand you have softies who push untested changes to site "cause something looked wrong" without realising it stops production, so

Comment

Don't underestimate the reasons for "keeping it in the family" that have nothing to do with the work being done to a high standard. The reality is that the very best people move relatively seamlessly between industries and do the work to a high standard in all contexts, but there's a lot of incentive for crap people and crap agencies to avoid that

Comment

I've contracted in the O&G (and biopharma) industry with no prior experience. It's a case of being in the right place at the right time: immediately available, meet all the other criteria, have some other experience (e.g. have prior experience in the software or horizontal domain) that they need right now.

Comment

Originally posted by merseygrit View Post
                  I've contracted in the O&G (and biopharma) industry with no prior experience. It's a case of being in the right place at the right time: immediately available, meet all the other criteria, have some other experience (e.g. have prior experience in the software or horizontal domain) that they need right now.
                  +1 - it's about being the best (1 of max 3) options available at the time in an agents eyes.

Given that there are a lot of O+G workers on the market at the moment it's going to be hard to get into the shortlist.

but otherwise as you say the best person will be deemed to be in order:-

1) person with exact experience in the same industry
                  2) person with similar experience in same industry
                  3) person with exact experience in close industry
                  4) person with similar experience in close industry
                  5) person with exact experience in other industry
                  6) person with vague experience in same industry
                  7) person with similar experience in other industry

So you can see why if your experience isn't perfect / in the industry you won't get past the gormless gatekeeping agent.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm not sure why the desire to get into a dead-end industry.

Renewable energy sector would be a far wiser move. And whilst the offshore aspect of that industry has a lot of commonality with O&G the rest is just another utility industry.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      I'm not sure why the desire to get into a dead-end industry.

Renewable energy sector would be a far wiser move. And whilst the offshore aspect of that industry has a lot of commonality with O&G the rest is just another utility industry.
                      I think the OP assumes they can get juiced into ridiculous Middle East expat rates.

Comment

Working...
                      X