• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Apprentice is...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Apprentice is...

your doctor.

What could go wrong?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65548705

Apprentice-doctor roles may be rolled out as part of the government's plan to fill NHS staffing gaps in England.

NHS trusts will be given funding to run the five-year apprenticeship roles under the proposals.

At the end of the programme, the apprentices will become junior doctors, providing an alternative to the traditional medical-degree route.

It is part of a package of measures that could be introduced under the NHS workforce plan.

The plan is expected to be published in the coming weeks - and if the apprenticeship proposal gets the green light, they could be launched as early as September.

The plan is also likely to lead to the expansion of the nurse apprenticeship scheme that already exists.

It means school leavers will be able to enrol to become doctors without having to pay to go to university - it is not uncommon for medical students to graduate with debts above £80,000, according to the British Medical Association.

Sources said it was among the options being considered to help tackle staff shortages and broaden access to NHS jobs.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

oh goodo from dicey Nigerians with dodgy qualifications we get the work experience boy!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      oh goodo from dicey Nigerians with dodgy qualifications we get the work experience boy!
      Dicey Nigerians(other dicey nationalities are available) can be, should've been and would've been weeded out if the feckless wastrels within the NHS would get off their arses and actually do their bloody jobs!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

This scheme has been in the works for a couple of years now.

In theory I don't see a problem with it but given the constraints on current doctor capacity, one major problem could be students getting enough supervised time with experienced staff. This is a common problem for apprentice schemes in different sectors.

As I understand it, it's still a degree level apprenticeship and the students will undergo the same medical training. The difference is the entry point and targeting students who traditionally wouldn't go down the university route.

The pilot will have 200 students so I guess we'll see the results in years to come but it doesn't sound like the scheme is really going to dent the large shortage of doctors needed, at least not in the next few years.

Comment

Ah, what can go wrong...NHS is already at laughable level, I have some doctors in the family and when they hear about the approach for "treatment" often taken by NHS they just shake their heads in disbelief (although I think Ireland takes the cake when it comes to absolutely irrelevant steps taken when trying to "treat" someone).

If doctors who went through proper uni can't do things right, what chance non-uni trainees have?

Comment

Some here know about my health, for those that do not - its not great and I have to spend quite a bit of time in the company of health professionals. When I turn up in A&E at least one senior consultant gets bleeped and sometimes more than one. No, I'm not joking.

There are various ways already that we have staff in the NHS that are not as qualified as they should be treating us. Especially those we import from abroad to plug the gaps. Parts of the rulebook on this gets broken by trust's every day.

This could close some of the gap, but it needs to be part of a larger package of measures. The biggest thing the NHS needs to do and has needed to do for years is close the gender gap. This is bit is from a blog I wrote about fixing the NHS earlier year.
            "The NHS is split along traditional lines at 75% female at 25% male. Every year it loses an estimated 12% of its female staff in the 21-46 age bracket on long term leave owing to maternity leave. Some 40% of those never return to work in the NHS. More men would not eradicate this issue but it would undoubtedly help in areas of extremely high pressure."

I'm not sure I would trust these apprentices with my large catalogue of health issues especially in an A&E setting. Bottom line they would not have the level of experience to handle it.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Ah, what can go wrong...NHS is already at laughable level, I have some doctors in the family and when they hear about the approach for "treatment" often taken by NHS they just shake their heads in disbelief (although I think Ireland takes the cake when it comes to absolutely irrelevant steps taken when trying to "treat" someone).

If doctors who went through proper uni can't do things right, what chance non-uni trainees have?
              Don't get me started on Irish healthcare. Especially pain control.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Dicey Nigerians(other dicey nationalities are available) can be, should've been and would've been weeded out if the feckless wastrels within the NHS would get off their arses and actually do their bloody jobs!
                Be quiet & swallow your shampoo:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....-bogus-doctor/
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

And there is this lady who luckily can't detain you anymore -
                  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...re-of-scrutiny
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Nice chance to slip in a racial element.
                    I doubt you are so fundamentally ignorant that you think "apprenticeships" are the same as "doing work experience", just a poor troll attempt.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X