• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal obligation to replace electricity meter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It's not working because your indoor monitor isn't talking to it, or not working at all? Check your online billing and see if the readings are estimates or not. The meter will still talk to its owners, even if you can't see it.

If they are estimates and the meter is faulty, I suggest you get it sorted. One day they will get an accurate figure...
    No, it definitely was not working after I first switched suppliers, I got an email request for a reading every month. Maybe 'cos switched suppliers again after mine, Igloo Energy, went bust. Not done it on exact same day but their latest reading, says smart, is in pretty well in line with mine, so geuss it really is working.

Perhaps I'll dig the remote out and see if that's ok now. Let's see, where did I put the *** thing???
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 May 2023, 14:43.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

But why would you not want a smart meter?
      I'm genuinely interested. I have my own reasons for not wanting one, but seeing as I've moved house to one that does I have no choice now.
      There is a theory that accepting a smart meter will lead to the faster introduction of differential unit pricing, perhaps to the point where it will be enforced. The thinking is that those without a smart meter can't be put on a tariff that have higher unit prices at peak times.

I suspect differential pricing will eventually be enforced anyway, and those without smart meters will end up paying more. The utilities will market this as a discount for those with smart meters since (they'll state) it'll costs less to administer such accounts - similar to what they do with DD versus quarterly bills or pre-payment meters.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 9 May 2023, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        But why would you not want a smart meter?
        I'm genuinely interested. I have my own reasons for not wanting one, but seeing as I've moved house to one that does I have no choice now.
        With remote access they can change your account type to prepayment at a whim, and they can gain useful data (at no cost) on your usage patterns. In addition I believe some smart meters aren't compatible with all suppliers' systems, so a change of supplier could mean a change of meter.

Not for me thanks, not yet anyway

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

No, it definitely was not working after I first switched suppliers, I got an email request for a reading every month. Maybe 'cos switched suppliers again after mine, Igloo Energy, went bust. Not done it on exact same day but their latest reading, says smart, is in pretty well in line with mine, so geuss it really is working.

Perhaps I'll dig the remote out and see if that's ok now. Let's see, where did I put the *** thing???
          They did a software update a while ago so many people whose smart meters weren't working with various suppliers suddenly started working.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

With remote access they can change your account type to prepayment at a whim, and they can gain useful data (at no cost) on your usage patterns.

Maybe wear a tinfoil hat.

As for compatibility of different meters, there is an industry standard, and all current meters being rolled out are SMETS2, they work across all suppliers.
            The older SMETS1 meters are being replaced as they do not transmit if you switch, so you need to submit readings yourself.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Maybe wear a tinfoil hat.

As for compatibility of different meters, there is an industry standard, and all current meters being rolled out are SMETS2, they work across all suppliers.
              The older SMETS1 meters are being replaced as they do not transmit if you switch, so you need to submit readings yourself.
              deffo tin foil hat time.

As it's not possible to change provider right now that point is moot.

And differential pricing already requires a smart meter. If you want cheap electricity to charge your car you need a smart meter. If you want economy 7, guess what? You need a smart meter.

I turned down a smart meter being fitted as Siemens told me I'd be fined £160 if I had the temerity to be out the house when they turned up at some point in a 12 hour window. So that got cancelled.

There are also some audiophiles who think smart meters interfere with hifi quality. But these are the same people who will thousands for a "hifi" CAT 5 cable.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

One would think so, but I've been told that I "won't be charged" for my gas usage... indeed, how could they with no record of that usage... we shall see how that turns out once the meter has been fixed. Any attempt to estimate a bill will be met with a curt FRO... again, we shall see how that turns out.
                THey likely will, but if they charge you for the last few months at the usage over the summer you have done very well.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

So, on this, I took a quick look at my "smart meter" a few weeks ago... it does NOT appear to have been recording my gas usage.

I called Scottish Power to let them know that I'm not being charged and was given the run around. I guess that's what one gets for trying to be helpful. Anyway, I have now arranged for an engineer type person to come along and fix it... the earliest appointment is June.

As far as I can tell, it looks as though I've had free gas since October.
                  The engineer from Scottish Gas has now left and I have shiny new gas and electricity meters.

Let's see what the next bill looks like.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I got an email yesterday about a collective energy switch auction.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X