• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sainsbury's mince/cat food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sainsbury's mince/cat food

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...meat-mush.html
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sainsbury...m-packed-mince
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124883

We've tried it, and it's not great. We'll probably get it somewhere else in future.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Thanks for the warning.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

minced cat? no thanks.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The environmentalists are now wading in. Although the new vac packs use less plastic, they're not generally recyclable like the old plastic trays.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65202523

"Sainsbury's said they could be recycled at stores and customers had to get used to the new look and cook differently."

Mr Crampton said: "It's exactly the same mince... but more compressed... so we do need customers to cook it slightly differently.

"It's as straightforward as it just needs more agitation with a wooden spoon to break the product up," he said. The new vac packs have cooking instructions on them.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I used it for a shepherd's (or cottage) pie. Turned out fine. Some people just like to moan about any inconsequential change; presumably they don't have enough suffering in their lives so they seize whatever opportunity to feel put upon comes their way

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I used it for a shepherd's (or cottage) pie. Turned out fine. Some people just like to moan about any inconsequential change; presumably they don't have enough suffering in their lives so they seize whatever opportunity to feel put upon comes their way
            However, I do miss the old style butcher. I used to go there and the butcher would show me the meat first for approval then mince it. That along with fresh onions and Italian tomatoes to make spaghetti bolognaise.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              minced cat? no thanks.
              Cat steaks are more civilised.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

However, I do miss the old style butcher. I used to go there and the butcher would show me the meat first for approval then mince it. That along with fresh onions and Italian tomatoes to make spaghetti bolognaise.
                butchers still exist

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  TBF, some of the people complaining may be struggling with cost of living, so mucking with food staples may be quite a big deal to them.

One thing I have noticed over the years, with all the supermarkets, is when something is promoted as "new improved" it rarely is. At best it's usually "new can't really tell that much difference" but more often than not it's "new worsened" or even "new ruined".

The new mince is ok(ish) for stuff like stews, cottage pie, chilli, bolognese. I haven't tried making burgers with it (the old mince was fine for this). I've still got some in the freezer so I may take a chance.
                  Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 11 April 2023, 07:45.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

butchers still exist
                    Indeed - even in major supermarkets. One of Morrisons' USPs is that they still have a proper* butcher and fishmonger in their stores.

* - you may argue about how "proper" they are but in my store they know what they're doing

Comment

Working...
                    X