• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On 23 April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On 23 April

Your mobile will sound at 3pm if you are in the UK

You have been told!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-on-23-april

The first nationwide test of a public warning system that sends alerts to UK mobile phones will take place at 3pm on Sunday 23 April.
    The emergency alerts system is designed to broadcast urgent messages in the event of a disaster such as severe flooding, fires or extreme weather.

It has been tested in east Suffolk and Reading, but this is the first time the whole country will receive an alarm. Similar systems exist in other countries, including the US, Canada, the Netherlands and Japan.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Not if you turn off the alerts, it won't

Comment

Well at least it will give something new to work on for all spotty teenage hackers out there. Expect false alerts and a new level of spam sometime soon.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Great use of public money. I for one am sick to death of being almost killed in Avalanches and earth quakes. And don't even get me started on the forrest fires we suffer in Sussex.

I think this is a great initiative by the gov and all civil servants should fly business class to a destination of their choosing and have a nice long, relaxing break from their clearly overworked and stressful jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post
          Great use of public money. I for one am sick to death of being almost killed in Avalanches ... in Sussex..
          Have you ever been to the Snowdrop Inn, Lewes? Do you know why it's called that?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Have you ever been to the Snowdrop Inn, Lewes? Do you know why it's called that?
            Got a nice selection of hanging baskets?

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post
              Great use of public money. I for one am sick to death of being almost killed in Avalanches and earth quakes. And don't even get me started on the forrest fires we suffer in Sussex.
              There were some quite serious wildfires last year, and there is the risk of terrorist attacks or even Putin pressing the nuke button.

I had actually assumed phones all had this built in already TBH.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Why on St Georges day?

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  Why on St Georges day?
                  So various government ministers can sit/stand behind flags when talking about it.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They should do it at 3am.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X