• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MOTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITV apparently now want Linekar for 3 times the money. (Yes fail link)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-resigns.html

And this has caused a journalist who is Jewish to have a spat with the Board of Deputies of British Jews.

They eventually agreed with the journalist
    “A key tenet of Holocaust education is never again, for anyone. The Holocaust is unique, but ‘never again’ is universal. Drawing out similarities and parallels is critical and part of the education.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...abi-an-asshole

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All sorted.

https://news.sky.com/story/gary-line...weets-12832734

Gary Lineker will return to Match Of The Day on Saturday after he was taken off air over his tweets criticising the government's migration policy.

The BBC has also apologised for the episode and announced an independent review into its social media usage guidelines.

Sky News understands Lineker has also received a direct apology.

In a tweet, Lineker said: "After a surreal few days, I'm delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming.

"A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you," he continued.

"We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people."

Lineker also thanked BBC Director General Tim Davie "for his understanding during this difficult period".

Comment

Pay some fecking tax you lefty scumbag!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Pay some fecking tax you lefty scumbag!
          Why are you picking on another freelancer who has a production company on the side that has done well last year?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            "A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you," he continued.

"We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people."

Lineker also thanked BBC Director General Tim Davie "for his understanding during this difficult period".
            Perhaps he should be told that some 90% of those "fleeing war and persecution" in the small boats are reportedly healthy males between 16 and 35 years old, largely from countries where there is no war, who can find a few thousand pounds for their passage and have passed through one or more perfectly safe countries to get here.

By all means have an opinion and express it (although perhaps with a better choice of words ) but at least try to understand the context.

FWIW I find him a smugly insufferable prat, but then I can't stand modern football either.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Perhaps he should be told that some 90% of those "fleeing war and persecution" in the small boats are reportedly healthy males between 16 and 35 years old, largely from countries where there is no war, who can find a few thousand pounds for their passage and have passed through one or more perfectly safe countries to get here.

By all means have an opinion and express it (although perhaps with a better choice of words ) but at least try to understand the context.

FWIW I find him a smugly insufferable prat, but then I can't stand modern football either.
              Context: Lineker has taken in refugees.
              Context: Lineker did not mention the Holocaust or Nazis, but those were the terms used by the far right to demonise him.
              Context: No one has yet shown that what he said was incorrect, quite the opposite.
              Context: We take in far fewer migrants than other countries in Europe.
              Context: Many of the people speak English as a second language, rather than maybe French, German, Italian, Spanish,... they are more likely to get a job in a country where they can communicate with the locals.
              Context: We have not taken in 100 million people, nor are there 1 billion wanting to come here (numbers bandied about by the government)
              Context: Our government want to dehumanise those coming here as migrants. They don't want to talk about people, but about boats.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Was just about to comment on Lineker's stupid comment but malvolio has said it for me. We do need ways for people genuinely fleeing war and persecution to apply but there is no reason for taking in people from Albania and other safe countries. Sure, some may have genuine fears, like threats from criminal gangs or terrorist activities in certain regions, but then so do some people in the UK. They are for the country's own government to solve.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lineker did not mention the Holocaust or Nazis
                  No, but comparing government language to "language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s" is pretty much implying that.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

No, but comparing government language to "language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s" is pretty much implying that.

"The government policy invariably produces this effect upon the pompous pundits like Lineker who pontificate on Twitter and the Leftie-loving BBC whose influence steadily sinks month by month towards the vanishing point"
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Context: Lineker has taken in refugees.
                      Context: Lineker did not mention the Holocaust or Nazis, but those were the terms used by the far right to demonise him.
                      Context: No one has yet shown that what he said was incorrect, quite the opposite.
                      Context: We take in far fewer migrants than other countries in Europe.
                      Context: Many of the people speak English as a second language, rather than maybe French, German, Italian, Spanish,... they are more likely to get a job in a country where they can communicate with the locals.
                      Context: We have not taken in 100 million people, nor are there 1 billion wanting to come here (numbers bandied about by the government)
                      Context: Our government want to dehumanise those coming here as migrants. They don't want to talk about people, but about boats.
                      Yes, that is the other side of the argument. I know that all perfetly well thanks.

If you apply it all migrant incomers then it is even fairly valid (although I don't recall seeing the 100 million figure anywhere; given there are only about 62m already here that destroys your credibility somewhat), However apply it to the people in the small boats coming here illegally through a highly dangerous route and ignoring the perfectly valid routes they could have taken and then HMG's position (supported by a huge proportion of the general public; those who don't live in Islington perhaps) are in favour of the proposed actions.

We have never been against immigration of people who want to join us or who are seeking genuine asylum for various reasons (ask all those Ugandan Asians), but that does not mean we mustn't have any kind of control over or vetting of people who do so.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X