• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update on JCB's pursuit of Hydrogen as their fuel of the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Ok, you've an interview 175 miles from home, the interview lasts for an hour and you have to drive 175 miles home. Which car would you drive?
    This is the very reason my neighbour binned his electric Porsche for a petrol one. Frequently had meeting >150 miles away and constantly struggled to get it charged for the journey home.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post

The National Grid disagrees with you. https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories...misconceptions
      People who don't make money from it would disagree with your headline...
      https://www.imeche.org/news/news-art...-to-55-by-2025

And we've got plenty of energy...
      https://news.sky.com/story/six-milli...eport-12624000
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Ok, you've an interview 175 miles from home, the interview lasts for an hour and you have to drive 175 miles home. Which car would you drive?
        That's obvious...

You own 2 electric cars.

Put one on a trailer and tow it for 100 miles. Then abandon the first car with its flat battery at a charging point. Take the second car (sans trailer) to the interview. By the time you get back to the charging point the first one might be charged enough to tow the second one home.

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know how many contractors would not go near an electric car if it didn't have the BiK savings, which the government will have to drop soon, as they'll need the revenue when everyone switches over.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          Electric seems like the best way to me. Burning tulip, even if it is clean like hydrogen, is not an efficient way of producing mechanical power.

I expect battery technology will evolve rapidly, and packs capable of doing many hundreds of miles will get a lot smaller and lighter.

Also, charging electric cars is a pretty good way of using off-peak electricity.
          A fuel cell is a catalysed reaction between hydrogen and oxygen (from the air) resulting in electricity and water. No burning required. No emissions created. A point that seems to be totally lost in the argument...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's obvious...

You own 2 electric cars.

Put one on a trailer and tow it for 100 miles. Then abandon the first car with its flat battery at a charging point. Take the second car (sans trailer) to the interview. By the time you get back to the charging point the first one might be charged enough to tow the second one home.

On a more serious note, it would be interesting to know how many contractors would not go near an electric car if it didn't have the BiK savings, which the government will have to drop soon, as they'll need the revenue when everyone switches over.
            100 miles towing a trailer laden with a car? You'll be lucky, electric vehicles aren't very efficient when it comes to towing. John Cadogan(Australian motoring journalist) has made a few youtube videos about electric vehicles and towing...
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

This is the very reason my neighbour binned his electric Porsche for a petrol one. Frequently had meeting >150 miles away and constantly struggled to get it charged for the journey home.
              Looks like he bought a car that didn't fit his requirements. Sadly Tesla would probably be the only EV option. It will direct you to a supercharger if needed without needing to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post

Looks like he bought a car that didn't fit his requirements. Sadly Tesla would probably be the only EV option. It will direct you to a supercharger if needed without needing to think about it.
                That's great, Elon, but for me the nearest supercharger is either 30 miles west on 65 miles east of where I am. The network does not exist, and given the mental instability of the owner of Tesla, who knows when he might pull the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

People who don't make money from it would disagree with your headline...
                  https://www.imeche.org/news/news-art...-to-55-by-2025

And we've got plenty of energy...
                  https://news.sky.com/story/six-milli...eport-12624000
                  I suppose that depends on your interpretation of "The Grid".

The Transmission network is able to cope although will probably improvements.

The electric generation is currently a problem. With the lack of gas storage not helping. There are currently 32 million cars in use in the UK, it is going to take a long, long time for them to be replaced with EVs.

Whether is it batteries or hydrogen, the UK needs a lot more generation. Just less if they are batteries, and more of the infrastructure is there already.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

A fuel cell is a catalysed reaction between hydrogen and oxygen (from the air) resulting in electricity and water. No burning required. No emissions created. A point that seems to be totally lost in the argument...
                    All the previous discussion seemed to be about hydrogen for ICEs, and I'd forgotten about fuel cells.

I don't know much about fuel cells but presumably there's a reason why they're not currently in widespread use?
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

All the previous discussion seemed to be about hydrogen for ICEs, and I'd forgotten about fuel cells.

I don't know much about fuel cells but presumably there's a reason why they're not currently in widespread use?
                      Very expensive technology and lack of investment in alternative fuels.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X