• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

If I am travelling at 70mph overtaking rows of slow moving lorries in the inside lane or the 2nd lane because they are playing leapfrog or if the inside lane is stationary at an exit and I pass at the sensible and legally mandated (by the signs) 40-50 mph and I get an idiot up my rear end pushing me closer to the car in front by sitting 3 foot from my bumper flashing their lights whilst cars are overtaking me at 90 push in front of me taking my stopping distance I am supposed to do what exactly?

According to the speed course people (TTC) you should adjust your speed slightly to create a 'double' gap between you and the vehicle in front. This gives you time to brake slowly if required and prevent the car behind running into you.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Or she may have got off if she didn't have a mental condition and was recorded yelling in the street about people breaking the rules. That sort of behaviour is Autistic in my experience. Maybe if the street were properly labelled then the shouting may not of occurred.

What exactly did she lie about? Think about it.
      She lied in a her police interview about various facts that were caught on camera. Remember the shop and most town centres have cameras. There would also be other witnesses e.g. shop staff, passers by who would have seen her walk down the street.

I know from other people that people have lied about incidents that were caught on camera but that wasn't held against them, even when they committed crimes, due to the nature of their lies.

She had a chance to have a mental assessment but didn't want one. She probably was offered a responsible adult to sit in the police interviews with her as well as a solicitor.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
        Tailgating is £100 fine and 3 points on the license.

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
        Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

According to the speed course people (TTC) you should adjust your speed slightly to create a 'double' gap between you and the vehicle in front. This gives you time to brake slowly if required and prevent the car behind running into you.
        so slow down and maintain or extend your braking distance?

That really pisses the tailgaters off. They get even more aggressive so I frequently try to get out of their way by moving to the left lane with lorries travelling mainly at 50.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

That really pisses the tailgaters off. They get even more aggressive so I frequently try to get out of their way by moving to the left lane with lorries travelling mainly at 50.
          Since I've employed the TTC recommendation I haven't found that to be the case, most people are reasonable and are probably inadvertently tailgating by road creep, in most cases they realise what's happening (maybe been on a TTC course?) and back off. The ones that don't, well you've given yourself a safety gap and if on an A road they will hopefully overtake into that nice big gap you've created.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

If ...
            or if...
            I just quoted the highway code, you then came up with your hypothetical situations to justify your self over-confidence.
            You post that it's a regular occurrence when you drive on a multi-lane road that you have tailgaters sitting on your bumper, when the rest of the motoring population do not have that happen on every journey, maybe the problem isn't every road user apart from you?

And your lack of knowledge of how to drive is clear from how aggressively you react to posts.

Did you know that a roundabout (which you boast about how you stop at them) is actually a give way, not a stop? It's got dashed lines, not a solid line at the junction.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I generally pull over to let tail-gaters pass me. Especially if they have blue flashing lights.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I generally pull over to let tail-gaters pass me. Especially if they have blue flashing lights.
                Funny how they only switch those on after the've lost the race...
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
                  Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I just quoted the highway code, you then came up with your hypothetical situations to justify your self over-confidence.
                  You post that it's a regular occurrence when you drive on a multi-lane road that you have tailgaters sitting on your bumper, when the rest of the motoring population do not have that happen on every journey, maybe the problem isn't every road user apart from you?

And your lack of knowledge of how to drive is clear from how aggressively you react to posts.

Did you know that a roundabout (which you boast about how you stop at them) is actually a give way, not a stop? It's got dashed lines, not a solid line at the junction.
                  I'l quote the government research

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...just-two-weeks

Highways England and police have joined forces to tackle the offence which is a factor in around one in eight casualties on England’s motorways and major A roads.

Soon, motorists caught tailgating can expect to receive letters advising them they were too close to another vehicle and highlighting the dangers of not leaving safe braking distances.

The clear message – stay safe, stay back! - comes as new footage shows the reality of tailgating.
                  Yes you may not want to always stop at a roundabout but if you have no exit on a mini roundabout then really you should. Approaching a roundabout accelerating so those on your left can't join and then block the roundabout by remaining is not being courteous to other drivers. Failing to match your speed to roundabouts or stop where other users intentions are not clear is also important. Give way is exactly that. To give way you frequently need to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    If you don't see emergency vehicles until they are 6 feet from your rear bumper you need to get out of everyone's way and take the bus.

Comment

yeah right

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...study-25767508

my experience is that feckwits with powerful cars they can't handle like you (though I suspect you find a fiat panda or 2CV more you can handle) are the most likely to tailgate. My mitigation is to slow down and control the situation to reduce risk, it must be really challenging because you need to get to your next perm & set quickly and safety isn't your top priority.

Personally I would make it 5 points and a £500 fine forintentional tailgating.
                      Hmm, so because I drive a powerful, yet hairdresser, car you've come to the conclusion that I tailgate? You're getting really desperate now mate.

Safety has always been my top priority, which is why I've never had any points on my licence and never been in an accident.

But hey, you're the vigilante of the highways, so you know best haha
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X